Pages

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

What Does the Failure of Firedoglake Tell Us About it's Model?

Now that they are shutting down I do feel kind of bad for them. Even though I was never a fan of those folks over there. Jane Hamsher or her commentators.

"Jane Hamsher made the announcement today that Firedoglake is shutting down, and all archived posts will be moved over to Shadowproof, a new site run by Kevin Gosztala and Brian Sonenstein."

"I have mixed feelings regarding this bit of news. My start in online activism and in digital marketing started with Firedoglake Action Fund, and I worked on the public option campaign, which I still care about to this day. Jane Hamsher brought Eve and I onboard because she saw our impact on other people online, and it was very much an eye-opening experience in working for FDL Action. I will always be thankful to Jane Hamsher and to Firedoglake for giving me that crucial start, regardless of Jane's actions online, and any scandals under her watch."

"Some people here will definitely celebrate the closing of Firedoglake, and others will mourn its closing, but it goes to show that it is much harder to sustain online activism and a liberal presence on the internet than one would think. It requires funding, support, and constant engagement. If we want to support progressive activism and causes, we need to keep funding and being engaged with Dailykos Action campaigns, BoldProgressives, MoveOn, and other progressive organizations."

"We're being out funded and out-done on the funding/activism front because the conservative movement has the tenacity, the funding from the rich 1%, and they've racked up electoral and Supreme Court victories. We can't be complacent during the primary season. We've got to keep working, to agitate, to spread our beliefs, rally support for these beliefs, and push progressive policies into the media spotlight."

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/07/30/1407253/-Firedoglake-Is-Shutting-Down#

The writer-Slinkerwink makes a good point. But then again, I've never gotten along with anyone on any of these alleged liberal blogs. I mean Daily KOS also banned me back in 2011.

http://lastmenandovermen.blogspot.com/2011/08/banned-from-big-liberal-blogsophere.html

Why did this happen? Well, let's admit, part of it is me. I'm not really a joiner. I'm not someone who waits for the consensus to be slowly built and then I find my place on line. I am an opinionated guy if you haven't noticed.

But what I notice about lots of liberal activist groups-but especially FDL-is that I don't feel at home because I'm a liberal Democrat and many activists are liberals first and foremost and maybe Democrats of convenience.
A cause celeb at FDL back in 2011 was primarying Obama. That's why I got tired of FDL-they seemed more interested in blowing raspberries at Obama and his 'Obamabot' supporters all day than anything else really. 
But for me that I'm a Democrat is just as important as I'm a liberal. I'm not with the party until a more liberal party comes along. Bernie has no interest to me for that reason-plus hes really not more liberal than Hillary on any important issues-or at least those important to me. 
But how do you rack up electoral and Supreme Court victories by giving the Democrats the raspberry?
Anyway, I think we liberals have had some victories recently on Obamacare, gay marriage, some big executive actions the President has taken. I see that the writer is for the public option.  Hamsher's tactic was to denounce ACA to the heavens and vow to primary any Democrat who supported it. 
Did that turn out to be a winning tactic? Hamsher literally was saying the same thing as GOPers-that the ACA was so flawed we should just table it and go back to the beginning. 
Which is absurd. The ACA as passed was s starting point. She and her little darlings at FDL seemed never to get that when Social Security passed it initially covered only 5% of Americans. It expanded since then. At some point in the future Obamacare could take on the public option in certain states or even nationally-assuming Democrats ever have Congress again. 
Hamsher essentially played the part of the Frances Townsend movement in the 1930s where eventually left wing and right wing opponents of SS came together. 
But FDL's ideology was that the Democrats were no better than the Republicans and that liberal activists should only support those rare Democrats seen as pristinely progressive enough. 
So it wasn't a winning strategy nor one I wanted any part of. I think to be successful liberal activists should be more embracing of the Democratic party-rather than razz Hillary they should embrace her. 
But then that's why I'm not an activist I guess. 


10 comments:

  1. Gonna have to do it Mike.... Firegoglake?

    ReplyDelete
  2. TK Tom. Fir the record do you know who Firedoglake is? Did you ever read them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I knew them. Wasn't any kind of regular.

      You still have an extra "g" in there BTW: Firedgoglake. Lol (c:

      Delete
    2. A long time ago I read with great amusement your story of being banned various places. I'd occasionally wandered into FDL myself prior to that. I also liked the "Firebaggers" term. Was that a Sax original?

      Delete
  3. Still not banned by Sumner-knock on wood!

    I wish I could take credit for firebagger but no, that's what all us Obamabots called them. They call us Obamabots we called the emo progs, Firebaggers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd estimate that the probability you'll physically be banned by Sumner to be close to 0%, despite what he told you once (I read that comment, but I wouldn't call that a ban). Recall I asked him once: he doesn't ban anybody. He does stop reading your posts at some point, but you have to meet all three criteria to have that honor:

      1. Long posts
      2. You're a "fool"
      3. You're rude.

      I think those are the three (I'm not 100% on that though). He must have carved out an exception for Ray, because other than being amusing to Sumner, he seems to meet the requirements: he leaves long posts, Sumner clearly thinks he's a fool, and some of his posts seem to cross into the rude zone at times (in my estimation... though perhaps Sumner has a thicker skin than I imagine).

      Now I've seen Nick Rowe ask someone to stop commenting there (not just on a thread, but completely). The person he asked, still comments there, but never addresses Nick anymore: just other commenters. Also Nick does erase comments that annoy him. Plus he tells people to "Stop" on a regular basis. I've been told once!

      Noah Smith does erase comments. He erases a lot of Jason Smith's for example. Jason thinks it's any comment involving self promotion, and say's that's Noah's prerogative.

      Also I've had comments that John Cochrane and Dave Giles decided not to publish (they both moderate comments).

      It's rare to get a response from either Noah or John.

      Delete
    2. No after that encounter he later linked me on a post and we've been pretty cool since then. You're right about all three though the technical way he put it was 'prolific.'

      Ive always gotten along pretty well with Nick.

      Delete
  4. I don't like Noah Smith. He's a smart guy but kind of complacent and elitist. I like Sumner better strange to say

    ReplyDelete
  5. But you're right my key is I've always been careful not be prolific at least so he couldn't hang that on me. LOL

    ReplyDelete