Pages

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Mark Sadowski's Holy War Against Slander of MM

       I don't agree with Mark. He believes there is so much overwhelming evidence that Market Monetarism is true that to question it at any point is basically slander. I think he understates how committed he is to the MM Cause. He's a Holy Warrior with a real martyr complex that there is anyone anywhere that doesn't buy the MM story whole cloth. 

       Still, I think that Cullen Roche was wrong-or at least he did something I wouldn't when he banned him from his blog. I give Sumner credit for never even suggesting he'd ban me with all the times we've butted heads on his blog. 

        http://diaryofarepublicanhater.blogspot.com/2013/11/cullen-roche-takes-on-mark-sadowski.html

        Nevertheless I do think I get what frustrated Cullen. Basically Mark thinks he has the truth and is just here to correct errors. Tom Brown asked him the right question here I think-the directed it at me as well. 

        "Mark, do you see yourself as primarily a committed defender of Market Monetarism, or primarily as someone interested in seeing what the evidence supports? How confident are you that the Market Monetarists have it right, and what kind of evidence would it take to convince you otherwise?

       "Mike, I'll ask you the same question: what kind of evidence would it take for you to jump on the Market Monetarist bandwagon?"

     I don't think that the position of Mark and I are symmetrical by any stretch of the imagination. I'm not trying to defend any particular school of thought from any and all criticism as Mark is with Market Monetarism. I'm a 'Keynesain' but there are so many different definitions of that out there.

      http://uneasymoney.com/2014/02/13/what-does-keynesian-mean/#comments

     I certainly don't do for MMT what Mark does for MM, for instance. Anyway, here is Mark's answer to Tom. I do have to thank both of these gentlemen at least for giving me so many comments to read and respond to. 

    "I'm an empiricist by inclination and training. That's one reason why I don't find Sargent's theoretical ditherings persuasive. I'm interested in what the evidence shows, and I've already found loads of empirical evidence that supports MM positions. "

     Ok, right away I've got some reservations about what he's saying. This lauding of empiricism makes me skeptical. Economic questions-or even in the 'harder' sciences-are not decided by 'looking at the evidence' alone. This very point was discussed in some detail in yet another David Glasner post just recently. 

     http://uneasymoney.com/2014/01/26/two-cheers-well-maybe-only-one-and-a-half-for-falsificationism/

     Evidence alone isn't enough. I mean it's part of the story but theory is important as well even if Mark dismisses it as mere 'ditherings.' 

    Sure we look at evidence. However, then what? This evidence has to be interpreted. Mark talks as if he thinks that there is just one incontestable conclusion you get in looking at evidence. With most economic events today you get Monetarist, Keynesian, and RBC-or Austrian interpretations. Monetarists think it's just about money, Keynesians think that fiscal policy also matters-they don't oppose monetary policy as Monetarists oppose fiscal policy-and then RBCers think the economy just self corrects over time. Any evidence you give us will have those who want to interpret along these three different lines-so there will be at least three different interpretations. 

    Mark comes into this discussion with a deep sense of wounded righteousness. It's tough to be such a martyr for the MM truth. 

    "Mostly I find that people who attack monetarism routinely set themselves up for rebuttal by saying something that obviously false. So it's not that I'm such a committed defender, it's that they're obviously gluttons for punishment."

    He's not a committed defender just that all criticisms of it are wrong and he has to correct all these wrong criticisms of it. There just happen to be no right criticisms of it anywhere. Looking at empirical evidence I'm not very impressed with the MM story. We have basically followed the MM prescription the last 4 years and yet the recovery has been way too slow and shallow. Yet Sumner has been declaring a huge victory-his gloating has really makes him look silly and a joke in the econ field though this he misses. Yet Mark accused me of being a liar-not just wrong but a liar. See the moral fervor?

   "You know as well as I do that Scott Sumner has been deeply disappointed in the Fed's conduct of monetary policy since at least 2008. I would say this is a misrepresentation of Scott's positions, but since I know you know better, I'll call it what it is, which is a lie."

    I know he's been pounding the table for NGDPLT for 5 years, yes. However, he's also declaring victory. What's clear is you can't have it both ways. Either the recovery has been suboptimal or it hasn't. If Sumner is disappointed then it means it's suboptimal. However, if it's been suboptimal why is he attacking those who criticize fiscal austerity?  If it's suboptimal this means that QE by itself at least hasn't been enough, ergo less fiscal contraction over the last 4 years would have given us a better recovery than we've in fact had. How do  you deny this?

   This is why I remain so skeptical of MM. If he simply talked about NGDPLT it would be an interesting idea-though not proven as how can an untried idea be wholly proven? That he stumps so much for fiscal austerity tells me he's not just worried about NGDPLT, he is very invested in keeping the world safe for fiscal austerity. 

    I find that Mark accuses me of lying but he never is able to answer direct questions he doesn't want to answer. Would we have had a worse recovery last year without the sequester? Is that his position? If not then why is Sumner throwing ticker tape parades for himself?

    Mark expelled a lot of time giving us all this allegedly irrefutable evidence that MM is right. He mentions Japan in 2001-06 as showing that QE works. I don't get why if it worked so well after 5 years it was still kind of a very slow moving economy. Much of what he looked at was the 30s. He wants to credit the recoveries of the 30s for monetary policy. My question is is the GD recovery much to brag about? I mean this recovery took 13 years in the U.S. He claims that fiscal policy had little to do with it. Then how do we know these recoveries wouldn't have been faster had we done more with fiscal policy?   That's a question Mark you might try answering directly if Cullen is wrong and your are interested in any honest intellectual engagement and not just Sumner's Chief Minister of Information. 

     He cites a Cristina Romer paper where she-and her co-authors-gave the lion's share of credit to the pre-1942 recovery to monetary policy. Again, we might wonder if it wouldn't had been faster had we not had more FS. In reality FDR was no Keynesian and unfortunately really honestly believed in balancing the budget in the middle of our worst depression in history. 

    Maybe Romer wonders this too which is why she has actually been a chief proponent for FS during this Lesser Depression. If she wrote the paper and yet she doesn't take from her own paper that we shouldn't do FS, Mark, why do you think it should lead us to this conclusion?

    What you might really try to answer Mark is why do fiscal austerity in the middle of a deep depression or recession? Why do you and Sumner not just recommend your NGDPLT target and just keep your mouth shut about fiscal austerity? Why do you insist on defending austerity? Tom you asked what could make me jump on the MM bandwagon, well the answer is I don't jump on bandwagons-at least those I'm not driving. However, what might me a little less skeptical of MM is a real answer from Mark on this question-one that preferably doesn't try to insult me personally as that's a diversionary tactic. 

   I'm always willing to be persuaded by a persuasive argument,  however, Sumner-Sadowski haven't given me that, yet. Maybe Mark will surprise me this time though I'm skeptical. 
    
   P.S. As for Mark attacking me for doing telemarketing for a living, maybe if we had a better economy I and many others would have a better job. I mean have a degree in accounting-and am like one class from my Masters in finance so it's not education clearly I need. Unfortunately our Market Monetarist Congress and Fed don't want to give us a better economy they want to make sure that undeserving people don't get something for nothing. 

   If anything I see the minor nuisance to telemarketers kind of just desserts for people who take a Republican attitude to those struggling. If we didn't have Republican policies these people wouldn't have to bother you at home and at work. Oh, well. As most telemarketers are poor and their victims are rich, I see it as a victim-less crime. Almost a kind of Robin Hood operation. 

   Mark's insensitivity here, his brutal attempt to embarrass or shame me, shows that I have him and his Master, Mr. Sumner, pegged, 

     

28 comments:

  1. "Still, I think that Cullen Roche was wrong-or at least he did something I wouldn't when he banned him from his blog."

    Cullen informed just a few days ago (maybe a week or two at the most?) that Sadowski is not banned from his blog. I let Sadowski know that. Someone had pointed out to Cullen a recent comment Sadowski left at themoneyillusion.com in which he said he was banned from three sites, one of them being pragcap. Mark pointed out the irony (and it would have been ironic) that Cullen had recently featured one of his comments in a post (one that I brought to Cullen's attention actually). It arose from one of my debates with Vincent Cate. Let me see if I can find it:

    http://pragcap.com/debunking-the-myth-that-a-gold-based-monetary-system-coincides-with-higher-growth

    I post stuff from Sadowski at pragcap on a fairly regular basis actually. Cullen never objects and usually comments favorably on it. Recently I posted his mathematical analysis of Steve Keen's latest paper to demonstrate Steve's now a monetarist... I though it was hilarious, so I had to share. Cullen remarked that Keen has had a history of accounting problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually Cullen says he admires Sadowski: he let me know that when he told me he wasn't banned... and in a follow up comment a few days later. They did get into an intense disagreement at one time. I didn't follow the whole thing. Any restriction of Mark's comments was a temporary thing (I think!). Cullen has done that a few times to select people, but there's only one (maybe two) people that I'm aware of that Cullen actually banned... and that was after having a LOT of patience with them. One of them came back from being banned (the guy was truly a little crazy: he went by "Iluvatar": his comments were Morgan Wastler-esque, but more so: much more abusive sometimes) and then started launching into his crazy routine again... and actually insisted that Cullen erase all his comments and ban him again. Really weird! The other guy was "phil." Phil was very very persistent. I think a lot of readers were happy that Cullen banned phil because Cullen would get sucked into LONG debates with him and ignore everybody else! I hated the long debates myself and wish he'd just ignored phil like Sumner does Major_Freedom... but it turns out phil showed up on my blog, and I used to debate him there! I never got into as much as Cullen. Actually I have to credit phil with teaching me a few things and inspiring several of my boring accounting posts (but then again, all my posts are boring accounting posts!). I never felt like banning phil, but I'm not aware of the full history between Cullen and phil... needless to say they don't have a great deal of affection for each other and their conversations would often turn ugly. Sometimes I see phil around as "Philippe" at Rowe's site or Sumner's. I even have his email. Since I kind of turned over the keys to my blog to Cullen, I think phil has been banned there too! Understandable... they'd get into long debates over there. Let's just say that phil doesn't bring out the best in Cullen, and vice versa, so it's probably best to keep those two separated. :D

      So I don't claim to know how Sadowski's comments were restricted... I wasn't there. Cullen described it as putting them on "moderate." I'd ask Cullen if you want to know... or Sadowki, since he experienced it from the other side, but I got the impression that that business happened some time ago, was temporary, and that Sadowski was never actually formally "banned."

      I don't necessarily blame people for doing something like that temporarily... I've even seen Nick Rowe do that (to Frank Restly). He's never banned Frank, but I have seen him erase and threaten to erase his comments. I've seen people do the same with Morgan Warstler's comments... which to me is understandable... someone at monetaryrealism.com told Morgan to tone it down or he'd be erased. Morgan once made a grand entrance at pragcap calling everyone there "Dorks" and "dirty hippies" right out of the gate. That didn't really rub me the right way either... he takes a little getting used to. Cullen was more patient with him than I would have been.

      W. Peden commented to Sadowski that if he had a blog and disagreed with him that he'd ban him too! ha!

      Delete
    2. Another ironic twist to this story is that Cullen made a few comments at Sumner's site ... their conversation didn't go well, and later Cullen assumed he was banned. Sumner knew I was a friend of Cullen's, and I noticed that my comments didn't take there either... so I complained to Sumner (using a different email) that there was no reason to ban me: that I always tried to be polite (to his face anyway! :D)... Sumner informed me that he never bans anybody... and shortly after I could use my regular email again. I let Cullen know my experience and what Sumner said: and thus that he probably wasn't actually banned.

      Delete
    3. BTW, if I were you or Vincent Cate, I might be inclined to put me on "moderate" once in a while too!... I can be a bit long winded at times (and it's not like my posts are overflowing with facts or data either). :D

      Delete
    4. ... but I guess I do agree... I don't think I'd ever ban Mark even temporarily, unless he really got personally insulting or something. We're all human, and get our feelings hurt, write things we wish we hadn't, etc. In my case I wouldn't look forward to having to cross out my posts, apologize to Mark, and put big red "Bullshit" watermarks across all my figures (remember Steve Randy Waldman! ha!), but I'd do it if I had to. :(

      Delete
  2. Yeah I know that Mark had a bad exchange once with Cullen and that Cullen said if he contintued in the vein he didnt like his comments were welcome. I wasn't sure if it was permanent come to think of it. I have to admit that Sumner bans no one and I do give him credit for that at least.

    You're comments are wlecome including 'long winded' ones here at least as at least you do often have interesting points in there too. LOL. You and Mark did me a solid with all your comentary the last few days even if I dsiagree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go back and take a look: I think you misunderstood at least a couple of mine (I left comments).

      Delete
    2. Which comments do you think I misunderstood?

      Delete
    3. you found one (on MR vs MMT on the Fed vs Tsy). The other is this (my response):

      http://diaryofarepublicanhater.blogspot.com/2014/02/ben-bernanke-proves-sumners-wrong-about.html?showComment=1392580226977#c6631416666508387106

      Delete
    4. Shoot, that link didn't really work for me for some reason... it's this comment in that article:

      Tom BrownFebruary 16, 2014 at 11:50 AM

      Delete
  3. By the way, Tom, Tom HIckey puts this to bed. The Fed is the agent of the Treasury. There's no debate.

    "12 USC § 246 – Powers of Secretary of the Treasury as affected by chapter"

    "Nothing in this chapter contained shall be construed as taking away any powers heretofore vested by law in the Secretary of the Treasury which relate to the supervision, management, and control of the Treasury Department and bureaus under such department, and wherever any power vested by this Act in the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System or the Federal reserve agent appears to conflict with the powers of the Secretary of the Treasury, such powers shall be exercised subject to the supervision and control of the Secretary."

    http://monetaryrealism.com/did-the-fed-have-a-legal-basis-for-rejecting-the-coin/

    http://diaryofarepublicanhater.blogspot.com/2014/02/morgan-warstler-gets-mm-so-did-tom.html?showComment=1392583491313#c3429763045101873858

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, I have no argument with that paragraph... however, I think you can see perhaps what I'm talking about in the 1st line beowulf writes after quoting the above:

      "John Carney reported yesterday that it was the Federal Reserve that vetoed the trillion dollar coin. Tsy and WH statements announcing a joint decision apparently were face-saving exercises."

      beowulf might not like it... but he's implicitly assuming here (as is Carney) that the Fed called the shots on this one, regardless of what should have happened.

      Again, if you want to find out what Cullen thinks, just ask him. He's gone over it a number of times. I'd like to get a refresher myself!

      Delete
    2. Tom even Mark admits that the Fed supersedes the Fed on the debt ceiling. By the way as for your difference between the MMT and MR schools on the Fed vs the Treasury, listen to Tom Hickey who regularly writes at Monetary Realism:

      "BTW, here is Alan Greenspan on US solvency, for example."

      "PAUL RYAN: “Do you believe that personal retirement accounts can help us achieve solvency for the system and make those future retiree benefits more secure?”

      "ALAN GREENSPAN: “Well, I wouldn’t say that the pay-as-you-go benefits are insecure, in the sense that there’s nothing to prevent the federal government from creating as much money as it wants and paying it to somebody. The question is, how do you set up a system which assures that the real assets are created which those benefits are employed to purchase.”
      http://youtu.be/GdOsybbBVEU

      "Here is former Fed chair Marriner Eccles on the Fed funding the Treasury indirectly:"

      "There was a feeling that this [Fed overdrafts to the Treasury's General Account] left the door wide open to the Government to borrow directly from the Federal Reserve bank all that was necessary to finance the Government deficit, and that took off any restraint toward getting a balanced budget. Of course, in my opinion, that really had no relationship to budgetary deficits, for the reason that it is the Congress which decides on the deficits or the surpluses, and not the Treasury. If Congress appropriates more money than Congress levies taxes to pay, then, there is naturally a deficit, and the Treasury is obligated to borrow. The fact that they cannot go directly to the Federal Reserve bank to borrow does not mean that they cannot go indirectly to the Federal Reserve bank, for the very reason that there is no limit to the amount that the Federal Reserve System can buy in the market. That is the way the war was financed."

      "Therefore, if the Treasury has to finance a heavy deficit, the Reserve System creates the condition in the money market to enable the borrowing to be done, so that, in effect, the Reserve System indirectly finances the Treasury through the money market, and that is how the interest rates were stabilized as they were during the war, and as they will have to continue to be in the future. So it is an illusion to think that to eliminate or to restrict the direct borrowing privilege reduces the amount of deficit financing. Or that the market controls the interest rate. Neither is true."

      http://jpkoning.blogspot.com/2012/06/marriner-eccles-on-treasury-borrowing.html

      http://diaryofarepublicanhater.blogspot.com/2014/02/resolved-fed-is-agent-of-treasury-and.html?showComment=1392588731783#c4440414448640434436

      Note this was also on JP Koning's sight. So I think your misconstruing MR on Fed Independence.

      Delete
    3. I don't t think it matters what Cullen or beowulf thinks, This is the law.

      Delete
    4. Well, ok, but my original point was Sadowski & other MMs were not alone in having an interpretation different that the MMTers (not that Sadowski would necessarily agree w/ MR guys either!). MR tend to say that the private banks are the Fed's boss (not Tsy), while Sadowski probably says the Fed is the big boss (not Tsy).

      Delete
    5. ... also I think it's worth hearing Cullen out on his reasons. I can't do them justice.

      Delete
    6. Mike, again I'm not saying who's right, but there really is a difference... it's something that comes up all the time at pragcap. I know Tom H. comments at mr.com, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't get some argument there from the core MRists, for example:

      http://monetaryrealism.com/more-toxic-stuff-from-mmt/#comment-87199

      Cullen almost always disputes the concept that the Fed is monetizing the debt... saying that the Fed is not creating a market for Tsy debt: that there would be healthy market for Tsy debt even if the Fed were not buying. Plus what do you call it when the Fed buys while the debt is going down? If people do insist on saying the Fed is monetizing the debt (and they do... over and over: Johnny Evers for one), then Cullen's recently taken to arguing that if they insist on that then to be consistent they should admit that the Fed is also unprinting Tsy bonds at the same time then. His point being that QE is not monetization: it's an asset swap. I'm sure that "asset swap" thing drives the MMs crazy too. All three (MMT, MR, MM) disagree with each other on that. Actually I think MMs are OK with "asset swap" but they hate the "just asset swap" as it implies QE does nothing.

      Cullen would say MR is bank & privater sector centric, while both MMT and MM are government centric (different kinds of gov centric maybe, but both gov centric).

      But don't take my word for it, ask JKH or Cullen or any of the MR guys. They'd be happy to tell you exactly what they think. I'm just giving you my interpretation: having witnessed literally hundreds of pages of Cullen vs phil debates (that was his usual MMT adversary... but there have been plenty of others too!).

      Delete
    7. If Cullen is tellign you that the CB exists due to an act of the commerical banks then he's wrong. I don't need to ask him that. It's as if he was claiming that FDR lived in 1395. I don't need to have a rap session on that one to say he's wrong if he said that.

      Delete
    8. I'm not saying that! I'm just saying that I believe you'll find a sharp difference between MMT and MR on the reality of the situation (regardless of how the official documents say it's supposed to work).

      Delete
  4. Holy War is an apt term Mike. Monetarism is a religion. They need no evidence its about faith in the authority of the all knowing CB..... period.

    If you compare closely the types of arguments made by the MMers they mirror almost exactly the types of arguments guys like Dinesh D'Souza make when debating evolution adherents. Its kind of spooky really.

    Nick Rowe is constantly saying things like "money is weird" in his comments section when he can't explain something. He just falls back on money is weird the way so many christians say "god is mysterious" when talking to non believers who question many of the tenets of modern right wing christianity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg, I think I understand the "money is weird" concept: it's simply that if you have N goods in your market economy (including money), then every good can be said to have approximately one market. If there's a shock to the demand for one good, it's unlikely to have large consequences in the rest of the N-1 markets. Money is different (and by money I specifically mean MOA, not other money-llike "goods" which may be MOE but are not MOA, like bank deposits): if there's a shock to the demand for MOA then by it's very nature, that affects the N-1 markets for every other good. That's one of the ways in which MOA is "weird."

      I think it's actually pretty easy to understand Nick's arguments... they're pretty straight forward. But I will admit that I'm non-committal about them... I have a hard time reconciling concepts of MOE and MOA, and a near continuous spectrum of "moneyness" (as both Cullen and JP Koning would say).

      But it's crystal clear that no matter how continuous that spectrum of moneyness is, Nick thinks that there's definitely something special about that good which has more moneyness than any other: namely the MOA.

      Delete
    2. Actually, I think all the schools of thought are at least a little like religions at this stage. I just don't know how you can ever really be sure about any of it unless you are free to do mass (potentially cruel) experiments on (potentially unwilling) groups of people. Ultimately all social sciences are like that I think. We're stuck with having to make sophisticated statistical inferences to "prove" points one way or the other. For example, we're not free to take multiple pairs of identical twins, and raise one in a lightless soundproof box as the "control" while we change one variable at a time with the other... do a vivisection (on both) at the end of the experiment, and then start with the same set of cloned twins to investigate the next variable: control child in the box, experimental one we change another variable.... just change one variable at a time! (Yes, it sounds cruel, and it is, but it's hard to beat that kind of straightforward methodology).

      I've found that in my job, I might have some intuitive insights, and I try to jump to a conclusion based on that insight w/o going through the tedious and time consuming "scientific method." But sometimes I have a series of insights that don't really move the ball forward and I'm left resorting the the scientific method to debug a piece of hardware or software: I have to use some discipline: only change ONE variable at a time (no matter how tempting it is to change two or more!), and slowly close in on it. It sucks, but when all else fails, it's hard to beat that approach. It's nice to know its' always there to fall back on.

      Any social scientist is left with a problem in that regard it seems to me, perhaps especially economists. They can't very often fall back on the "let's try just changing one variable at a time" approach, but otherwise repeating the experiment EXACTLY the same as the last trial. It's beyond me really -- how they cope w/o having that fundamental scientific method in their pocket, at least as a backup mechanism.

      Delete
    3. I think we'll make a LOT of progress in the coming decades in psychology: I think we'll eventually be able to map out the human brain and account for all the mechanics that happen there: perhaps no one person will actually be able to understand the whole system, but we'll understand the constituent parts well enough on a neuro-biological level, that we'll be able to essentially create a fully sentient simulation of an example human brain that will have no problem passing the Turing test, or any other test for humanness... it will essentially be a human running in software.

      But scaling up from there to understand how a mob or a nation suddenly changes their perception of something will be a good trick, because I do think a lot of econ has to do with group perceptions. If something was perceived as money, exactly how does it transition to not being perceived as money for example? We know historically that has happened, and the reverse of that as well.

      That's why I really wonder if there are "right" answers to a lot of these different ideas: because part of it has to do with what we as a group of humans believe about something. If enough people buy the Austrian line, for example, that only gold is really money... then that mass belief in itself will make it true once it hits a certain tipping point.

      Delete
  5. "Well, ok, but my original point was Sadowski & other MMs were not alone in having an interpretation different that the MMTers (not that Sadowski would necessarily agree w/ MR guys either!). MR tend to say that the private banks are the Fed's boss (not Tsy), while Sadowski probably says the Fed is the big boss (not Tsy)."

    Then how do you explain Tom HIckey who is more MR not MMT?

    I think you;re conflating two different things. I'm just stating the fact that the Fed is a creature of Congress. This is an institutional fact it's not something where there can be a difference of opinion anymore than 2+2=4 or that FDR was President in the 1930s.

    Saying there a creature of the banks just means that there's been what might be called 'regulatory capture.' In some ways the Fed has been structured so that RC is too likely. Again, it starts with what I eluded to above regarding the structure of the FOMC-there are 5 that are the banks' choices. You're mixing up two different things here .

    I can say that the Fed is legally and insitutitionally a creature of the fiscal authority and still say that they care more about the interests of the commercial banks than the little guy. The answer is to amend the charter of the Fed as is Congress' perogaotive to do. I mean do you dispute that Congress can do this? It's a straightforward question of fact-can they or can they not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not denying any of the legal statements you've presented or that congress can ultimately do what it likes: but in terms of a realistic description of how decisions actually get made and who's really accountable to who I believe you'll find that the differences of opinion on that are large. As far as Tom H's views: for all I know he may be absolutely correct: I'm not very familiar with him. But I'm pretty sure there's a big MMT vs MR divide on the issue: but again, don't take my word for it: ask the founder of MR directly (Cullen). It's not like it's difficult to get a hold of him. I'd love to know actually... maybe I'm wrong, but I'd definitely be surprised.

      Delete
  6. "fact that the Fed is a creature of Congress." I meant to say not creature but agent of Congress

    ReplyDelete
  7. "MR tend to say that the private banks are the Fed's boss (not Tsy), while Sadowski probably says the Fed is the big boss (not Tsy)."

    What they mean is that they have been subject to RC. It's like when people complain that Wall Street is the boss of Congressmen. Does this mean that the people don't vote in their members of Congress? Of course not. It refers to two different things as in the case of the Fed. The point is that the Fed should serve the public good but that it's been corrupted and captured by private interests.

    ReplyDelete