Pages

Saturday, August 22, 2015

Why the Kentucky GOP May be About to Call Rand Paul Home

I believe there's an old African-American saying: only the truth hurts. Maybe this is why when Trump said Rand Paul ought to stop wasting the money of the people of Kentucky and go home it hurt so bad.

"Yes. No, Rand Paul -- you have to understand -- is a disaster in the polls. He's a disaster on military and defense. He is getting decimated by everybody. And other than giving him a lot of money for an eye center at his request -- he asked me, could I have money? I said, absolutely. Because I thought it was worthwhile. But I gave him a lot of money for an eye center, which is very hypocritical when you think of it. But other than giving him a tremendous amount of money for his eye center, which I'm happy about, frankly, because I'm sure they do good work, I hope they do good work, he is doing so badly that he figures he has to attack Trump because I'm leading by a lot everywhere. "

"Either run for Senate and do a good job or run for president. You don't run for president and by the way, if I don't make it, I will become your senator reluctantly. If I were somebody -- a good, strong Republican from Kentucky, I would run against him in a heartbeat. And you would win. Because the people of Kentucky are being used by Rand Paul. Now, think of it. They're saying is, oh, if he doesn't make it, we will take him. That's not the way it works. The people of Kentucky should get a senator that wants to represent them, not a senator where it's a backup plan. So, if I was in Kentucky, I would run against him. Believe me, I would win."

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2015/08/14/trump_rand_paul_is_using_the_people_of_kentucky_either_run_for_senate_or_run_for_president.html

The sad thing is he really does have a point. He had to beg the Kentucky GOP to make the exception for him to be able to run for President and Kentucky at the same time. The trouble is running for President is a full time job. I mean when do you running for President aside and say 'Ok time to focus on the Kentucky Senate?'

Now there may be a legitimate Democratic challenger for his seat in Kentucky and the party is understandably growing restless. They may well no longer be willing to bend the rules for him. Then he will lose his Senate seat for a candidacy that in all likelihood is not his for the taking in any case. 

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2015/08/14/trump_rand_paul_is_using_the_people_of_kentucky_either_run_for_senate_or_run_for_president.html

So Rand is likely on his way out and Rick Perry can't even pay his staff so it's all volunteers going forward. How long can he hang around?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/warren-j-blumenfeld/rick-perry-say-bye-bye_b_8015030.html

Meanwhile Chris Christie may well be headed to the kiddies table in the next debate-Carly Fiorina will take his place.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/08/chris-christie-fades-into-darkness-121618.html

This is the point I was making in my last post. 

http://lastmenandovermen.blogspot.com/2015/08/shades-of-george-wallace-30000-come-out.html

We can argue with whether Trump can really win. It will be hard as I don't see anyone in the party endorsing him though if he continues to lead polls insiders will be afraid to attack him too hard. 

But every day he simply sucks out all the air form the other campaigns. If he stays here 3 more months and then drops out the damage to the other campaigns and the race is still incalculable. 










No comments:

Post a Comment