Pages

Friday, August 28, 2015

Is it Time to For All Ripped Off Publishers to Sue Adsense?

I've written a few times about Google. What the heck happened to them? What happened to 'Just don''t be evil?'

http://lastmenandovermen.blogspot.com/2015/08/whatever-happened-to-google-saying-dont.html

I always used to love Google-I saw them as these wonderful liberal tech nerds taking on the conservative powers that be. And Google is great as far as its search engine and all that wonderful information they send us.

Others worry about privacy and maybe there's something there but to me it may be worth the sacrifice. Besides I'm not about privacy. To the contrary! At least not my own. It ticks me off that more people don't read me and my goal is for everyone to read me in all four corners of the globe.

But what is very disappointing and reprehensible is how Google treats its publishers. This fellow here says he sued Adsense and won.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/aaron-greenspan/why-i-sued-google-and-won_b_172403.html

There are more suits in the works.

http://marketingland.com/yet-another-publisher-sues-google-withholding-adsense-earnings-113994

http://www.businessinsider.com/super-cray-sues-google-for-500k-2015-1

It may be time to sue Adsense and I'm considering it.

In the end, printed on a baby blue sheet of paper by the clerk's aging dot matrix printer, the judgment was actually entered for $761.00 total, due to the $40.00 court costs. I couldn't help but to smile in front of the judge.
"But it's not fair!" Google's paralegal protested. "What if everyone whose account was canceled sued Google?"
It's a valid question. Yet until Google changes its policies to become more transparent, which might also reassure skeptics that AdWords and AdSense, which have oddly limited reporting capabilities, aren't just two sides of the same ponzi scheme (for why else would one want to terminate legitimate accounts with high monthly liabilities when they're supposed to be making money for Google on each click?)--I will give this answer:
Maybe everyone whose account was canceled, should."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/aaron-greenspan/why-i-sued-google-and-won_b_172403.html

UPDATE: The bad news is Google appealed the case and won. Still there is a precedent. 

For me it's not just the money-though that matters, but the principle. Google should not treat it's publishers like gum beneath it's shoes. 

In an earlier post I explained how I've now given up on ever finding an Adsense alternative-they all either totally suck or they only get you anything by crazy aggressive pop-ups that just get you in trouble. I tried RevenueHits and this is what it was. A disaster and I don't' recommend them for anyone. 

Here was my earlier post about this. 

http://lastmenandovermen.blogspot.com/2015/08/if-you-would-to-donate-to-last-men-and.html

I argued that for those who want to donate to my blog-and I have had some readers who have asked-this is the only way to do it. Just see if there are any products you like-they are mostly very reasonably priced and affordable and if you need and want it think of it as a win-win. 

However, what I've been thinking since then is that what I really should offer on Last Men and OverMen are books and other intellectual sources. 

After all, I presume that most readers are either real political animals or econonerds. If you are neither you're still welcome here of course! See how careful I am. 

So I have become an Amazon affiliate. Which makes sense. I love Amazon-I have so many books from them now. With Amazon Kindle-you don't have to buy it, it's part of the membership-you can get all these great books at a drop of a buttion. 

However, if you want it please click the link on the top right! 

So I'm going to offer books and Kindle downloads. I'll keep some of the other ads for Fiver, etc, for now and see how they do but it seems tome that Amazon will probably be the big emphasis for me in the future. 

I left the links for a couple of books that mean a lot to me-Garry Wills' Conscience of a Conservative and of course Keynes' General Theory. Normally if you now me I'd be providing you a link-I link everything usually. 

But in this case, check the top right. 

Amazon is just the opposite of Google. Google treats its customers-in this case its publishers like poop. But Amazon treats its customers like royalty. It's amazing really. 

For a long time Amazon has been criticized by Wall Street for caring too much about customers and not enough about the bottom line. And in 2013 and 2014 it did seem that the Street was finally going to bring Amazon down a peg or two. 

For about 8 quarters in a row Amazon seemed to drop close to 10% on earnings day. But it would then within a few weeks or months make up what it lost, Then this year it's totally changed and the stock has just exploded rising by as much as 105%. 

So maybe you can take care of your customers and still do ok on Wall Street. 

There has however been a lot about a story recently that Amazon is running some of its employees ragged it's such a tough schedule and such tough expectations. 

http://www.vox.com/2015/8/17/9166023/new-york-times-amazon

http://www.vox.com/2015/8/17/9164339/amazons-work-culture

So I don't know. Maybe this is a species of the famous Impossible Trinity problem. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impossible_trinity

Is it possible to:

1. Have happy management

2. Employees

3. And Customers

all at the same time?

Amazon clearly has 1 and 3. And from what I've read many employees are very happy there. So you can't say that employees aren't happy there. Just the ones who want personal lives. 

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/08/16/new_york_times_investigation_amazon_sounds_like_a_horrible_place_to_work.html

But seriously some people don't care about that. If so what's the problem? Should society force such people to socialize?

Overall, the thing I worry about is that if Amazon becomes a social club then their service will suck like it does so many other places. 

But there's probably no chance of either of these items in the last sentence happening anytime soon!

P.S. In all seriousness, I think it goes back to what Nietzsche said in Genealogy of Morality. 

http://www.amazon.com/Nietzsche-Genealogy-Morality-Cambridge-Political/dp/052169163X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440819086&sr=8-1&keywords=nietzsche+genealogy+of+morality

There's only one libido. I used to think that it was just sexism to tell women that they can't have it all. But I think the key point is that no one can. If you love your job at a place like Amazon and if you're really passionate and driven about it maybe you can't also be parent of the year-ie, there's only one libido. 

It's a difficult subject. 




No comments:

Post a Comment