Pages

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Trump is Failing to Unify Even Rush Limbaugh's Dittoheads

If you need any more proof that Trump has not unified the GOP, not even close, check what's been going on at Rush Limbaugh's lately.

Rush for his part is buying Trump's absurd claim that Ted Cruz's snub actually helped unify the party.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2016/07/21/trump_used_cruz_to_pull_off_unity

But there is clearly trouble in Dittohead paradise when you see what the listeners are saying.

Many make the mistake that Rush simply tells his listeners what to say. But what he's good at is knowing what his listeners think and being careful not to say anything that is too far out in front of what they are thinking.

Like right now. The way he's talking and speaking to his listeners tells you the GOP primary is not over, not by a longshot.

Yes. There are rabid pro Trumpsters. But there a lot of conservatives and Republicans who still aren't there and Rush knows it. Listen to his chat with this female supporter of Cruz.

RUSH: Here is Sylvana from San Diego. It's great to have you. Hello.

CALLER: Hi. Hi, Rush. I'm calling actually regarding the speech, the Donald Trump acceptance speech he did last night.

RUSH: Yeah?

CALLER: And after listening to that speech, my question to you is: Why doesn't Donald Trump want my vote? I'm a Ted Cruz supporter, and I'm a constitutional conservative. I felt no love from Donald Trump last night. He mentioned everybody under the sun -- evangelical, LGBT, blue-collar, coal workers, students, student loans, Bernie Sanders and his supporters. The group that he did not mention is people like me, Ted Cruz supporters, constitutional conservatives.

RUSH: He's not an ideological liberal, either. He's not an ideological person. He doesn't look at it that way. He couldn't talk about the Constitution last night, other than talking about Supreme Court justices. He didn't mention it. He didn't talk about, "We, as Republicans..." I was making notes. You're getting me a little bit ahead of myself. I haven't gotten to the speech itself. I'm still trying to bury the Democrats because they're the enemy here.

"But I'm telling you: The first half of this speech, I was starting to get a little concerned, 'cause it was "I, I, I, I, I, I," and, "I'm gonna, I'm gonna, I'm gonna." I said, "Hey, what about us out here? What about marshalling the support of American people? What about mobilizing us? We're the ones that are gonna have to do it! Where's the 'we'? Where's the 'we'?" All of this "I, I, I," I heard some guy who is gonna go in and grab every lever of government he can find and fix whatever he thinks is wrong, and his supporters want him to do that."

"But then later in the speech he got to the "we." He got there eventually. He got to the "we are gonna do this" and he got to the idea that the American people are responsible for what happens to them and what they do and so forth and his job's keeping government out of the way and fix the things that are impediments and impeding people. And you're right: He didn't talk about limited government, small government, 'cause he doesn't believe in that. Obviously."

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2016/07/22/cruzer_trump_didn_t_speak_to_me

See, even Rush knows Trump talked about 'I' way too much. Where he loses me is that he claims Trump stopped saying 'I' and got to 'we.' That I never heard. Towards the end the crowd chanted, "Yes you will. Yes you will. Yes you will."

An amazing standing on the head of President Obama's 'Yes we can.' from 2008.

Anyway, Rush loses Sylvia:

RUSH: Ted Cruz? You still got...? Did you see his remarks this morning?

CALLER: No.

RUSH: Oh-ho-ho! (laughing) Ho-ho! (laughing) You think you're mad now?

CALLER: (nervous chuckle)

RUSH: Oh-ho-ho. Oh, my God! He had a little press conference today; he doubled down on Ted Cruz. He said (paraphrased), "You know, I like Lyin' Ted, but I don't even want... If he endorsed me, I wouldn't even accept it now." He said, "By the way, what the hell did I do wrong? The National Enquirer, it had a picture, and there's Ted's dad with Lee Harvey Oswald! What am I supposed to do? The Enquirer, they brought the goods on [disgraced Democrat senator John] Edwards. They should deserve a Pulitzer. I just told you what was there. They're incredible." You're not gonna like it.

CALLER: Okay. Well, uh, then, I guess this election is over for me."

RUSH: No, it's not. No, it's not. No, it's not. Believing what you believe, you cannot do anything that would make it easier for Hillary Clinton to win. Trust me, please. You can't. (sigh) You can't.

CALLER: I had long conversations with my husband, and we are talking about this, and, honestly, I know, it's easy to have integrity and say, "I will not vote." I live in California. California doesn't matter, okay? In presidential elections, I do not matter.

RUSH: Okay.

CALLER: So it's easy for me to say, "Well, I'm not gonna vote."

RUSH: Well, you just did. You just did. I don't want you to do that, though. I want you to think you matter, because you do. You're an American citizen. You affect who knows however many lives you don't even know about. You matter. Doing the right thing matters, even if nobody else in your view is.

This election is over for me. 

This actually undercuts Trump's claim that Rush earlier sanctioned that Trump unified the party against Cruz. No. He galvanized his own Trumpster base against Cruz. But the Cruz base took it the other way.

Now, even some Establishment and mainstream Republicans have some respect for Ted Cruz now.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2016/07/ted_cruz_s_refusal_to_endorse_donald_trump_will_make_him_a_conservative.html

So Trump failed utterly in unifying the party. If you have any doubt this proves it. If Trump didn't even unify Diitohead land, he unified no one. 

3 comments:

  1. O/T: Some interesting articles on the term "cuckservative" and the alt-right

    The ADL examines the term "cuck" and "cuckservative":
    http://blog.adl.org/extremism/white-supremacists-relish-cuckservative-controversy
    I assumed it meant the same thing as "race traitor" when spoken by a Klansman. I was basically right I think.

    They also have this on the "alt-right" I just noticed (though I have not yet read it):
    http://www.adl.org/combating-hate/domestic-extremism-terrorism/c/alt-right-a-primer-about-the.html

    But I really liked this recent National Review article which basically serves as a glossary of Trumpism:
    http://www.nationalreview.com/article/437975/how-trump-folk-talk

    Which reminds me of this piece from Ben Howe at RedState and his regrets for looking the other way at the racist and conspiracy theory insanity he accepted as convenient "allies" on the right:
    http://www.redstate.com/aglanon/2016/05/02/i-lied-to-myself-for-years/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I didn't realize what a gold mine of anti-Trump material is at NR:
    http://www.nationalreview.com/

    http://www.nationalreview.com/article/438251/detroit-auto-industry-decline-free-trade-nafta-arent-blame

    http://www.nationalreview.com/article/438248/donald-trump-republican-convention-supporters-magical-thinking
    "Magical Thinking" is what Bill Maher accused them of on his Friday show. Maher related it to religion, but his guests objected saying Trump isn't religious. I think they're both right: religion helps soften the brain to accept Cheeto Jesus as your personal lord and savior.

    http://www.nationalreview.com/article/438255/donald-trump-republican-party-not-conservative

    I haven't read all these... I just noticed there's hardly a peep in their headline articles about Hillary or the Dems... it's all about Trump, the lie of Trumpism, and complaints about what happened to the GOP under Trump.

    And while I appreciate their anti-Trump stance, I want to slap them upside the head for their role in the purposeful undermining or tacit approval of the forces which undermined critical thinking skills and appreciation for facts among the GOP base. I don't think it's a criticism they'd be willing to entertain. Yet as Ben Howe states, even just by looking the other way they undoubtedly had a role to play in that decades long dumbing down perpetrated on their electorate.

    ReplyDelete