Pages

Friday, November 13, 2015

Peggy Noonan Begs Jeb not go Go After Rubio

So look at this. Suddenly I'm a Jeb Bush Democrat. Who'd have thunk it?

"There have been reports Jeb Bush’s PAC is considering going after Marco Rubio. If it does, Mr. Bush will look like Al Pacino in “Scarface,” with his allies wielding all that super PAC dough and saying: “Say hello to my little friend.” The Pacino character took out all his enemies, but what’s so memorable about that last scene is that he shot up the entire mansion, pretty much brought the house down, and of course went down himself, in the end."

http://www.wsj.com/article_email/republicans-are-ready-to-rumble-1447374852-lMyQjAxMTA1MDEzMzUxNDM3Wj

This appeal of hers makes sense. That's why we can count on the GOP to ignore it.

Of course, if you're Jeb this isn't necessarily compelling either. You want to win. You're less interested in any establishment candidate winning though that's your preference than you are in winning yourself.

Then again, it's personal between Jeb and Rubio. Jeb was the mentor and Rubio made him look like a fool in front of millions in that third debate. Simply spite could come to play-remember it's not him but his super PAC we're talking about. In principle candidates aren't allowed to even speak to a super PAC who is supporting them. So they could do it against his will. He may not be looking for this to be done but may not strongly oppose it being done.

What gives me a lot of hope is that in the comments section, you had base folks saying things like we can easily deport 11 million and that the real number is more like 25 million. 

Meanwhile the GOP establishment is getting very nervous.

"Less than three months before the kickoff Iowa caucuses, there is growing anxiety bordering on panic among Republican elites about the dominance and durability of Donald Trump and Ben Carson and widespread bewilderment over how to defeat them."

"Party leaders and donors fear that nominating either man would have negative ramifications for the GOP ticket up and down the ballot, virtually ensuring a Hillary Rodham Clinton presidency and increasing the odds that the Senate falls into Democratic hands."

"The party establishment is paralyzed. Big money is still on the sidelines. No consensus alternative to the outsiders has emerged from the pack of governors and senators running, and there is disagreement about how to prosecute the case against them. Recent focus groups of Trump supporters in Iowa and New Hampshire commissioned by rival campaigns revealed no silver bullet."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/time-for-gop-panic-establishment-worried-carson-and-trump-might-win/2015/11/12/38ea88a6-895b-11e5-be8b-1ae2e4f50f76_story.html

The party donors don't know which establishment candidate to get behind. They don't know that the old standby of negative ads will work against Trump and Carson either.

When you go negative that can work but even if it does, there;s no guarantee the former supporters go to you. The big story is how far Trump has gone without tv ads.

"For months, the GOP professional class assumed Trump and Carson would fizzle with time. Voters would get serious, the thinking went, after seeing the outsiders share a stage with more experienced politicians at the first debate. Or when summer turned to fall, kids went back to school and parents had time to assess the candidates. Or after the second, third or fourth debates, certainly."

"None of that happened, of course, leaving establishment figures disoriented. Consider Thomas H. Kean Sr., a former New Jersey governor who for most of his 80 years has been a pillar of his party. His phone is ringing daily, bringing a stream of exasperation and confusion from fellow GOP power brokers."

“People usually start off in the same way: Pollyanna-ish,” Kean said. “They assure me that Trump and Carson will eventually fade. Then we’ll talk some more, and I give them a reality check. I’ll say, ‘The guy in the grocery store likes Trump. So does the guy who cuts my hair. They’re probably going to stick with him. Who knows if this ends?’ 

I don't know, Peggy. Maybe the party's over.

6 comments:

  1. "So look at this. Suddenly I'm a Jeb Bush Democrat."

    Hahaha... I beat you too that one Mike. Recall how I didn't want Jeb to drop out? Welcome aboard!

    I have to say, I guess I don't want any of them to drop out yet (not even Carson)... in fact, I'd like to see a few more join in. I'd like to see David Duke get in and challenge Trump from the right.

    My fantasy for the next Trump mega rally... he comes on stage with his red hat and a new prop: a YYYUUUUUGE baseball bat with the words "DEPORTATION FORCE" printed on them... and several pinatas are lowered down that look like Mexicans... followed by one big pinata that looks like a cross between Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz (in the pink sheriff's outfit)... with the words AMNESTY RINO on it's chest... then Anne Coulter, Laura Ingraham and Mark Levin join him on stage with hats and bats of their own, and they all beat the pinata to pieces to wild cheering from the crowd.... perhaps preceded by a little pre and mid beating mockery a la the Reservoir Dogs Michael Madson "Stuck in the middle with you" / straight razor / ear removal / "Adam 12" / can of gasoline / cop torture scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually make that "AMNESTY RINO CUBANO BROS" on the big pinata.

      Delete
    2. I'd like to see Christie and Fiorina gone to take them off the table once and for all.

      And the next GOP debate rules look like they will sideline both of them as I show in my latest post.

      Christie declares Trump attack on Dr. Ben unpresidential
      http://lastmenandovermen.blogspot.com/2015/11/chris-christie-says-trump-attack-on-dr.html

      But overall, you have the right idea. We want this to drag on and on. Jeb can do a lot of great work as a spoiler fighting Rubio for that establishment vote.

      There's talk that establishment is so freaked they want Romney to save the day.

      That would be great as it'd further divide the Rubio and Jeb vote. From what I understand most Romney donors are currently with Rubio so that'd be a mess!

      Delete
    3. ... the image of Trump doing "Mr. Blonde's" dance along with the "Stuck in the Middle with You" music blaring... maybe dressed in the same manner, with the sunglasses, black tie, and all.... that's going to make me smile the rest of the day.

      Sometimes I wish I was a writer for SNL.

      Delete
    4. Actually it won't make me smile... I just went to look that one up... starting here:
      https://youtu.be/PGqB6JIUzBo?t=47
      And I take one look at that cop's face... and I feel sick... just like the first time I watched that. I had to turn away the 1st time I saw that scene. I can't watch but a minute of it still! Probably I'd be fired my first day at SNL... Lol.

      Delete
  2. Yes, you'd probably be better than what they have there now.

    I really hate that Cold Hillary thing. I get it's humor but it's not funny if it doesn't resonate and that's a very one dimensional depiction of her

    ReplyDelete