Pages

Thursday, November 19, 2015

Vice President Biden Worries We're Losing Our Soul

You know I've been tough on the Vice President recently-as his indecision was being used to harm the party.

But with that out the way, he made a very powerful statement today about who we are as Americans and what we should aspire to be.

"Vice President Joe Biden on Thursday warned that the United States' promise of possibility and optimism, including toward those seeking refuge, is currently slipping away, and it is endangering the country's "soul."

“It’s always been true in this country. And if we ever lose that, then we will have lost something incredibly special and consequential here in the United States. We’ll have lost the soul of the country, and I would argue we’re in danger of losing it now. That’s why I’m here," he said during a speech in front of the Aspen Institute Summit on Inequality and Opportunity at the Newseum in Washington in which he also decried a shrinking middle class and a lack of opportunity for all."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/joe-biden-syria-refugees-216067#ixzz3ryeOhOfA

It's really been shocking to me, how quickly things have changed since Friday. It has been overnight. How we immediately have gotten away from what is best in us.

It's kind of scary-I mean we always hear all these confident assertions that it's not a question of if but when we're attacked in 'the homeland.' Imagine the kind of draconian measures that will be proposed then if this is what happens when another country, albeit a close ally, is attacked 4000 miles away?

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/paul-ryan-paris-response-216065#ixzz3rylnHp00

I always feel that people who say this was such certainty, almost want there to be more attacks. Because it's in the climate of fear that the Right comes into its reason for being.

I know I have a good time laughing at the rise of Trump and Ben Carson but I guess when it stops being a joke is when I see the mainstream press and the average American buying into it and I see Democrats going along with the Islamophobia of the Right.

The good news is that both Chuck Schumer and Harry Reid are opposed to a bill the House Dems just helped the odious GOP pass.

Harry Reid assures us it won't pass.

"House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and other top House Democrats urged their colleagues to oppose the refugee bill, arguing that its requirements were so onerous that it would effectively stop the refugee program for those from Iraq and Syria. And Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) assured reporters on Thursday that the House measure would not clear the Senate."

“Don’t worry, it won’t get passed. OK?” Reid said Thursday.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/chuck-schumer-syria-refugee-no-pause-216063#ixzz3rynsePXv

You go, Harry Reid.

It will be a few weeks until it would come up in the Senate anyway-McConnell will probably try to invlude it as part of a spending bill.

By then the furor over this will probably have died down.

"Even as nearly all republicans in the House and even a few democrats prepare to pass legislation which would deny entry to Syrian refugees and send them to their imminent death at the hands of ISIS, Barack Obama is having none of their racist cowardice. He’s calling them out for fanning the flames of anti-Muslim paranoia, and he’s also reminding them that he’s still the President – by pulling out his veto pen."

"Obama says that if such legislation does reach his desk, he’ll veto it. The republicans would almost certainly be unable to cobble together enough votes in the Senate for an override, meaning that their efforts are dead in the water; the Syrian refugees will be allowed in. Furthermore, the republican governors who are refusing to allow refugees to enter their state are also going nowhere, as the Refugee Act of 1980 spells out that the President has final say over admittance of refugees. So what exactly are these republican leaders trying to accomplish, if they know they have no chance of interfering with the President’s common sense approach to refugees?"

http://www.dailynewsbin.com/opinion/obama-pulls-out-veto-pen-reminds-anti-refugee-republicans-that-hes-the-president/23070/

10 comments:

  1. "Thank God for Senator Chuck Schumer"

    "Vice President Biden Worries We're Losing Our Soul"

    This is getting way too theistic for me Mike! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom my friend the qualms of radical Theists are the least of my worries right now. LOL

    I'm just worried that the country doesn't dissolve into total Ben Carsonism-hatred of Muslims that is.

    Trump is the guy for hating on immigrants, and Dr. Ben's bag is Muslims.

    If some 'God talk' gets us through it I'll take it at this point. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol... on that subject, I just finished emailing David Silverman (for the 1st time ever) with an anti-theist T-shirt design idea... it's an idea I've had kicking around in my head for a week or two now. I notice they sell T-shirts on their site, but I suspect my idea is a little too aggressive (and likely too juvenile) for them... but I figured I should run it by somebody because every time I think of it it makes me laugh. It's not PC at all.

      I was inspired by these T-shirts (which I love), however I don't own any of those myself. Maybe I'll buy one for my unbeliever bro for Christmas... I'll look and see if I can get them through Amazon!

      Delete
    2. Yeah, they look pretty cool. Maybe he'll like one.

      Now if you can buy them on Amazon now I'm excited. LOL

      Delete
  3. Mike, I heard NY mayor De Blasio on Hardball today mention a poll done in 1938 by Fortune magazine about what to do with the Jewish refugees fleeing Nazi Germany... 67% of Americans said not to accept them into the US. It didn't take long to find a write up about it:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/11/17/what-americans-thought-of-jewish-refugees-on-the-eve-of-world-war-ii/

    I think I'll go attempt to shame the shameless Jennifer Rubin (who's Jewish) about that (she was writing today about how the Dems are hurting themselves again by resisting public opinion on keeping Syrian refugees out). To her credit, she doesn't share her party's anti-immigrant stance, but still...

    ReplyDelete
  4. She doesn't? So she didn't support yesterday's anti refugee bill?

    Yes, I saw De Blasio too. He was good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about the specific bill, but she's been criticizing the GOP candidates for their anti-immigrant rhetoric prior to the Paris attacks.

      Delete
  5. Right. That's my point. Talk is cheap. Kasich criticizes Trump wanting to deport 11 million people but ran on the same thing in 2010

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/a-good-chunk-of-gop-field-wants-to-repeal-the-14th-amendment_55d24915e4b055a6dab12015

    And if she was for that bill yesterday then she's no different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that she's "for the bill" but she's hardly a paragon of virtue in ribbing the Democrats for opposing it.

      Delete
  6. What matters is not rhetoric alone but what you actually implement and vote for.

    ReplyDelete