Pages

Saturday, September 26, 2015

The Fallacious Logic of a Bernie Supporter

I had this exchange with  Bernie supporter, James Roselle on Facebook.

"Jeb is so far out there, he has no real chance.... he is just a laughable idiot... Hillary on the other hand IS power hungry, she gets paid by our worst enemy, Wall Street and she has half of my own party fooled into thinking she cares about the middle class... she is the one who actually has a chance of winning...."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/support.Democrats/1004450919607808/?comment_id=1004732512912982&notif_t=group_comment_reply

What I think is scary is that he is this overconfident that the Democrats will win with any nominee. I agree Jeb is a laughable idiot but then so was his brother...

What he fails to get is not everyone in the country thinks like Bernie fans. A lot of people don't keep up with the issues so well.

The GOP is going to try to destroy Hillary through personal attacks much like James; own where he claims she's power mad-you can't tell me her being a woman is what scares him so much about her.

If you have read me for a while you know how much I love President Obama but in 2008 I was for Hillary-it wasn't hard for me to make the switch as they were both so clearly qualified to be President.

But one thing that bothered me is that Obama fans on the Internet-and even a few I know personally, attacked her on blatantly sexist lines-lines that you could never get away with on a racial basis.

I mean racist attacks on the President have always been disguised but the sexist attacks on her have been blatant. Hecklers would great her with Clean my shirt, Hillary! and a few Obama supporters blatantly said to me that women may not have the emotional makeup to be President.

Yet they went wild over any similar suggestion about African Americans. There was a clear double standard.

And James now is continuing in that line.

UPDATE: Just in case you think I am misconstruing James, here is his new comment:

"It didn't have to be sold to me.. it was those damn bumper stickers in the 90's... "I didn't vote for her, I voted for him...." she was making decisions as First Lady... and every step since was a power play to position her to run for President... it is obvious and you are blind if you don't see it...."

So much of the anti Hillary sentiment is based in pure sexism.

So two takeaways.

1. This Bernie fan turns out to be a misogynist. How many of them is this true of?

2. The idea that the Democrats will win no matter who they put up is dangerously overconfident. The political scientists tell us that we are just a small slowdown in the economy to Jeb-or Rubio-being the favorite in the election.

As the GOP already has Congress and most statehouses we are not so far away from true one party Republican government.

Bernie fans are wrong in thinking that this is just about a beauty pageant for the most progressive person in the world. We need to win in 2017 desperately and the quicker we can galvanize behind Hillary the better.

http://lastmenandovermen.blogspot.com/2015/09/paul-waldman-needs-to-explain-why-six.html



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this--you nailed my concerns about some of Sanders' supporters and their well, rabid dislike of Hillary to the point of ignoring the very real danger that the GOP poses to the US.

    That and the fact that they've downgraded many of President Obama's achievements as President in order to prop up their guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it. TK for stopping by and come again.

    I was also surprised how the Sanders fans will use sexist attacks on Hillary just like Fox News.

    ReplyDelete