Pages

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Carly Fiorina's Answer on a Muslim President is Also Problematic

Ben Carson's declaration on Meet the Press Sunday that he doesn't think a Muslim can be President-basically because he believes Muslims are all theocrats-has led to another you know what storm in the GOP.

Jeb Bush of course said the right thing while Trump didn't. Trump did say that a Muslim can President but then muddied the situation by saying that 'Some say we've already had one' and that 'Ben is right though that there is a problem.'

However, Carly Fiorina's answer last night on Jimmy Fallon was also problematic.

"Fallon then brought up Ben Carson’s contention that a Muslim could not be president."

“Well, I think that’s wrong,” said Fiorina. “It says in our Constitution that religion cannot be a test for office. It’s also true that this country is founded on the principle that we judge each individual [a telling, partial thought], and that anyone of any faith is welcome here."

“I actually believe that people of faith make better leaders, whether they’re Christians, as I am… My faith has sustained me through some very bad times. I battled cancer, I’ve lost a child. I’ve been tested. But whether it’s a person of Christian faith, or Jewish faith, or Muslim faith, or other faiths, I think faith gives us humility and empathy and optimism, and I think those are important things.”

“You would be fine with that,” Fallon asked about the Muslim-being-president notion.

“Yes, I would be fine with that,” Fiorina reasserted.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/09/22/carly-fiorina-yes-a-muslim-can-be-president.html

Ok, so great she think a Muslim can be President but notice something else: She suggests that people who aren't religious can't be President or would not make a good President.
I guess she wouldn't vote for me then. 
She's right that there is no religious test but she seems to take this to mean that the President doesn't have to be a particular religious but he or she must have a religion. 
So Ben is suspicious of Muslims but Carly is suspicious of agnostics and atheists like me.  I'm not so high on her either. There was a great quote I saw on Facebook that she is a dumb persons idea of what a smart person sounds like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment