Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2016

America is Already Great and Shaun King is Wrong

As I've told top reader Tom Brown, I actually bought a Make America Great Again t-shirt which I've worn since November.

I have used to mostly at my gym or at home. When I first got it I wore it to the supermarket but I admit I got a little self conscious with all these Hispanic parents with their kids. LOL

But wearing it the gym was fun. I had the kinds of chats with Republicans I've never had before-they would assume I'm one of them, and I never correct them. That would spoil the fun. I kind of see myself as doing espionage, gaining information I would never normally have.

However, now that we're moving to the general, I have retired my Making America Great Again t-shirt. After all, in the primary I wanted to do what I could to help Trump secure the GOP nomination. Now that he's got it, my work is done.

Yesterday, I got a new shirt in the male that reads: America is Already Great which has become Hillary Clinton's slogan.

Of course, some don't like that. Shaun King wants a shirt that reads America Was Never Great.

I think that's perfect. It well illuminates the Donald Trump Right, the Hillary Clinton Center, and Shaun King and Bernie Sanders' Left.

"The United States was one of the biggest slave-trading nations in the history of the world for hundreds of years. Were we great during that time because the Capitol and the White House were built? What about the slaves who were forced, day and night, to toil and build them? Was it great for them?"

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/king-buy-america-great-hat-article-1.2643214

So America is not great because of slavery. Evidently nothing has changed since then.

What I would like to ask Shaun King-I can't has he's blocked me for calling him out on his Hillary bashing; he currently has a column which claims that the super delegates are going to decide this election, to give you an idea of the mindset-is what country is great?

And by the way, he leaves a little out of account in making it sound like America is the only country to every have slaves. Far from it.

By the way, regarding the whole white devil meme, Europeans are not the only people to have ever owned slaves either. Indeed, the African slave trade was made possible by the Africans themselves, who also had a long history in owning slaves.

King seems not to like the word 'great.' You know who is less reticent about the word? Louis Farrakhan who once called Hitler a very great man.
http://www.nytimes.com/1984/07/17/us/farrakhan-again-describes-hitler-as-a-very-great-man.html

Farrakhan also seems to think Trump is pretty great at least when he calls out treacherous Jewish bankers running everything.

While he does few interviews he took the time to have a nice long interview on Alex Jones.

http://www.infowars.com/louis-farrakhan-angel-or-devil/

If Farrakhan is allowed to call Hitler great, and admire Trump and Alex Jones, I don't feel bad calling America great.

Anyway, regarding King, here is how I look at it. Your country can be 'great' but also a work in progress. It can be 'great' but still have a lot of work to do.

I agree with that, but I don't agree that America is a country to be ashamed of. Compare us to other countries and at least our aspirations are in the right place. History will show that we have nevertheless made unique historical progress in matters of race.

The fact that people who look a lot different can't live in common society together is the rule not the exception.

King may say our progress is not enough-I would agree. But compare it to the Muslim countries where it's more or less impossible to have a common society of Shia and Sunni Muslims.

Look at even a country like Japan that remains very racially homogenous and suspicious of those who look different.

At least we have the principle that all Men are Created Equal. Now, of course, throughout our history we have fallen short. This is to be expected. But we do continue, as Obama says continue to 'form a more perfect Union.'

But at least our nation has the correct aspirations. Few other countries can say the same.




No comments:

Post a Comment