Pages

Friday, May 27, 2016

Elijah Cummings a Man We can Trust to Get Us to Party Unity

I certainly consider Greg Sargent's report that Elijah Cummings is going to be the point man in bringing the Bernie folks and the Dems together before the Convention.

"Cummings said that he had had private conversations with Sanders, in which the Vermont Senator laid out his hopes for how this all will unfold."

“I have talked to Bernie,” Cummings said. “I told him that the process would be a fair one. He said, ‘Elijah, with you being the chairman, I know that’s what is going to happen. And I’m satisfied that that’s going to happen.'”

“He has not asked for any particular thing,” Cummings continued, speaking about his conversations with Sanders. “What he has said is, ‘I want an open process. I want it to be fair. I want my people to be heard.’ And he said, ‘I believe that you will make sure that this is an open and fair process.'"

“He has not asked for any particular thing,” Cummings continued, speaking about his conversations with Sanders. “What he has said is, ‘I want an open process. I want it to be fair. I want my people to be heard.’ And he said, ‘I believe that you will make sure that this is an open and fair process.'”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2016/05/27/can-democrats-soothe-the-bern/

I have to admit that while I'm as cynical about the Bern as anyone, if Elijah Cummings has his ear I find that very reassuring.

What is even more reassuring is that Bernie seems to hold Cummings in as high a regard as I and most Dems do. Maybe we get to some unity sooner rather than later-after the primary of course.

"Sanders has five representatives on the 15-member Platform Drafting Committee, to six for Hillary Clinton, and four for DNC chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz, as a result of a compromise announced recently by the DNC. The DNC argues that, by giving 75 percent of the committee’s seats to the campaigns, as opposed to the party, it opens up the process to voters."

"It’s unclear precisely what sort of policy concessions Sanders might demand, but his aides are pushing for the inclusion of things like firm opposition to a vote on the Trans-Pacific Partnership in this Congress; requirements to break up too-big-to-fail financial institutions; more in infrastructure spending; a $15-per-hour minimum wage; tuition-free public college, and, possibly, a carbon tax."

"I asked Cummings what concrete policy concessions to Sanders might look like at the end of the day, but he declined to make any specific predictions. “For me to try to predict what’s going to come out of it I think is very unfair to the other 14 members of the drafting committee,” Cummings said. “But I can assure that the process will have the highest amount of transparency, openness, and integrity.”

I will say I don't see how if Hillary calls for a $12 federal MW and Bernie says $15 and Hillary wins the primary by a landslide double digit margin that this means we do $15.

But I take Cummings point. It's not about specifics at this point, it's about a process. And what gives me further confidence is that Keith Ellison will be the major player in the Bernie coalition in the committee.

I trust Keith Ellison and Elijah Cummings to deliver and thankfully, Bernie does too.

Sounds good. At this point anything that doesn't serve the aim of keeping a President Hitler 2.0 off the table is counterproductive.

Jamil Smith:

"No voter has enough privilege to say about Trump, "There's going to be some type of change, and even if it's a Nazi-type change..." No one."

https://twitter.com/JamilSmith/status/736202148388737024

You do hear Berners saying this. Not most Bernier Sanders voters, but there are a few hardcore Berners out there.



No comments:

Post a Comment