Pages

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Turns out Turnout is not the Answer for Bernie Sanders

We always hear him like a mantra 'We will win if there's a high turnout.' Yet most of the states he has won are caucus states.

Last night in both Nebraska and Washington we saw Hillary prevail in states were Bernie won huge blowouts in the caucuses back in March.

"Two states where Sanders won lopsided caucus victories have now held higher-turnout non-binding primaries. Clinton has won both of them."

https://twitter.com/SteveKornacki/status/735313329187618818

So the system is rigged but in favor of Bernie Sanders. Benchmark Politics.

"I definitely think Nebraska and Washington make a strong argument that caucuses suppress voters."

https://twitter.com/benchmarkpol/status/735308598910324736

While Bernie has complained about a rigged system the main aspect that clearly cries out for reform is the caucus system.

In my opinion the states should look to wean themselves off the caucus system-with the exception of Iowa for which the caucus is a point of deep state pride.

Let's face it, Iowa doesn't have that much to get excited about so it's tough to totally begrudge them there caucus-though having them and NH kick off the primary every year certainly gives undue influence to two relatively small, white, rural states as we again saw this year.

But in other states, hopefully the caucus will be dropped. There were complaints about it on both the Dem and GOP side this year and I think it's fair to say it prejudices against workers and those who can't stand around in line for hours and go through some long rigmarole.

The state of Minnesota has now agreed to go to a primary system in 2020.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/05/22/dayton-bill-presidential-primary/

Let's hope they are just the first of a number of states to do this before 2020.

It seems like a win-win. You get more a lot more people vote and the state rather than the parties pay for it.

5 comments:

  1. Mike, I think you might like this Samantha Bee segment about Bernie Bros:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PgtduZpNq4

    She has a funny one on Trump supporters too.

    And a scary one on Cruz and his "Christian dominionist" background (like his dad for example).

    She even did one on David Silverman (president of American atheists) at CPAC.

    I'm liking her show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so you like her? I've heard of her but haven't watched her yet. Maybe I will now that you told me that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard her interview on Fresh Air with Terry Gross. Terry let her know that she'd tried her "Rape Threat Line" (a product of reading through some of her hatemail?). I haven't called it myself, but Terry played it on air... it was pretty funny (although they had to bleep out parts).

      Apparently it's 1 844 4 TROLLZ

      https://www.buzzfeed.com/sarahburton/samantha-bee-created-a-rape-threatline-for-trolls-and-its-ge?utm_term=.krZBgR8lJ#.hg9Kgjzpl

      Lol... I just tried it to hear it w/o the bleeps. Make a selection and you get Vivaldi.

      Delete
    2. This one (in the middle) explains how the GOP glommed onto abortion as a "winning" issue:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTnPCF9OWHM

      Delete
    3. I was never a huge fan when she was on the Daily show, but I like her as host of her own show. I'm actually surprised I like her as much as I do. It doesn't hurt that I appear (so far) to be lined up pretty well with her politics. But I'm probably aligned w/ Trevor Noah's politics as well, and I'm liking her show better.

      One minor thing: she refrains from laughing at her own jokes (unlike Trevor Noah), and that's a good thing.

      Delete