Pages

Friday, June 24, 2016

The Rise of Little Britain and an Indecent Minority

At least I'm on the same side as J.K. Rowling. Not a bad place to be:

"Farage stresses this is "a victory for ordinary people, decent people." Remainers you are extraordinarily indecent."

https://twitter.com/MarinaHyde/status/746234254191820802

"Proud to be part of #TheIndecentMinority"

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/746234960667803648

Tom Brown:

"Mike I realize the Trump-supported-pro-Brexit forces will be madly attempting to spin the Trump-supported-Brexit caused chaos to their advantage, but I'm just curious what would happen if they took another poll right now."

"Do you suppose maybe, just maybe, the old people in Northern England would look at their retirement money haircut and say "Wow, I guess the tabloids were wrong and the elitist economists were right. Who could have predicted that???? Maybe I'll change my mind"

"I wonder how a poll today would turn out. Or are they willing to trade 10% of their net worth just to make sure immigration stops? They weren't planning to travel to the continent anyway, so who cares?"

http://lastmenandovermen.blogspot.com/2016/06/english-men-will-never-be-slaves.html?showComment=1466777698676#c4490406706978276910

Interesting question. If the pain continues maybe some will reconsider. There is already a furious petition for another referendum.

"Second EU referendum will be considered for parliament debate as petition hits 100,000 sigs http://ind.pn/28TA07X

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/746317832728743936

No doubt most of these folks probably were Remain in the first place but it if there is a second chance maybe it passes like TARP did.

Finally I fully share Tom's disgust:

"This makes me sick:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigel-farage-claims-hes-won-8271149

Tell that to Jo Cox's family.

9 comments:

  1. Mike, this has to be read to be believed:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/06/24/the-british-are-frantically-googling-what-the-eu-is-hours-after-voting-to-leave-it/

    "Even though I voted to leave, this morning I woke up and I just — the reality did actually hit me," one woman told the news channel ITV News. "If I'd had the opportunity to vote again, it would be to stay."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dumbing down the electorate seems like it's worked well in England.

      Delete
  2. Mike, I know I asked before, but was it at all possible to do this vote in three waves? Use the last digit of your national health card or something to see which wave you'd vote in? I think if people saw the markets react like this after the 1st wave, the 2nd and 3rd waves would have been very different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I know there are already lots of people like 'Wow! We didn't mean to do all that damage! I take it back.'

    There's a consensus that at more a move like this should have required 60 percent or had some sort of escape hatch-I think I've heard about three wave voting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't the French vote in rounds?

      Anyway, this is all so unnecessary. I hear there's a spike in UK searches for "What is the EU?" on Google now that the vote is over.

      Delete
    2. Also a spike in searches for "How to get an Irish passport" and other emigration searches.

      1. Gibraltar is now an issue with Spain
      2. N. Ireland is now an issue (again).
      3. Scotland is an issue again.
      4. Even a petition up to keep London in the EU
      5. And of course, my favorite: "Texit." As long as they don't get nukes, I'm OK with it, but they have to take Oklahoma and Mississippi with them.

      Delete
    3. Did you see the map of how the vote went down? It was pretty stark: N. Ireland and Scotland solidly in the stay category (no exceptions), along with London and a few other pockets in England and Whales. The rest was solid "go."

      Delete
  4. There is already the petition for a re-vote. They even have Farage back in May saying that a narrow win would not be decisive.

    To be sure, that's before he won a narrow win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and he cited the exact same percentages of the vote: 52% vs 48%.

      Delete