Pages

Thursday, July 23, 2015

Republicans Hate Food Stamps but Hate the $15 Minimum Wage More

     That seems to be the implication-you wonder why they wouldn't support cutting into food stamp rolls the answer seems to be just like everything else with the GOP it's about mood music.

      If they can reduce the food stamp rolls by cutting people's benefits who will otherwise be short their very happy to do that as the GOP Congress has done since 2010. I've had this fight with real conservative winners like 'TallDave'-a commentators at Sumner.

    http://lastmenandovermen.blogspot.com/2015/01/talldave-whats-difference-between.html

    They simply refuse to admit that the GOP has cut food stamp benefits and that now recipients receive less than they used to. This fact got old ShortDave so crazy he launched into an attack on the mentally ill.

    But if people simply make more money and don't need food stamps then they're not happy. Not if it's because of the MW raising wages. No that in their mind is 'cheating.' Whatever great threat food stamp recipients pose to society it is less than a higher minimum wage that is closer to a livable wage.

    So can say right up front that they won't be moved by this testimony from Alvin Major, a KFC employee in Brooklyn. Nope they'll find a reason to sneer-it's like that Energizer commercial says It's what they do. 

   "On a cold November day in 2012, I took a chance. Instead of showing up for my usual shift at KFC in Brooklyn, I went on strike, joining 200 New York City fast-food workers in the industry's first-ever mass walkout."

   "On that November morning, I was terrified. I didn't know if I would be disciplined, or maybe even fired, for going on strike. At $7.25, though, I felt I didn't have a choice but to take a chance. As the crowd massed on the strike line, my fear started to melt away. We chanted, "We can't survive on $7.25, We can't survive on $7.25, We can't survive on $7.25." I remember for the first time feeling so powerful, like change was possible, as we rallied with other workers who were in the same situation as me, from restaurants like McDonald's, Burger King and Wendy's."

   "In a little less than three years, I've been on strike 10 times. I've watched as the movement spread to Chicago, St. Louis, and then all around the country and the world. I traveled to Denmark, where I visited with fast-food workers who are paid more than $21 an hour, and it gave me hope that winning higher pay was actually possible. Today, workers from Florida to Wisconsin to Arizona are declaring victory because they know that if $15 can happen in New York, it can happen in their states, too."

   "What does $15 mean for me? It means that I won't have to turn to food stamps to feed my four growing children. It means I don't have to live in fear of the gas or water being turned off because I can't pay my bills. It means that I can afford simple things, like a bus pass, without worrying, and that affording big things, like treatment for cancer, aren't entirely out of reach. For me, personally, $15 means everything."

   "With NY going this way the question is which state is next? In the opposite direction you have Scott Walker trying to repeal his state's minimum wage. State Governors are who you want to watch as they can change the MW without the legislature:"

   "State governors' power to influence wages without legislative action predates wage orders on government books that go back decades. As New York state and city move to formalize the mandated, minimum rate of $15 an hour over the next few years, the focus shifts to governors in a handful of states that have similar administrative authority to raise pay without legislative action."

   "A key state to watch with similar power is California, led by Democratic Gov. Jerry Brown. On the Republican side, Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin has already moved to repeal his state's wage rules."

    "Advocates, meanwhile, are betting this strategy—hinged on the authority of governors—will build local momentum for a higher national minimum wage to $15 an hour from the current $7.25."

    http://www.cnbc.com/2015/07/23/the-15-minimum-wage-fight-notches-higher.html

   Obama has already moved the MW for workers of companies with government contracts up to $10 an hour and many big companies-even Wallmart have started to raise their MW.

   Clearly this is an idea whose time has come. Just as clearly, the GOP will be fighting this change as it has every positive change of the last 6 years.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment