Pages

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Mitt Romney's Weird Quid Pro Quo On Paying His Taxes

     As the Economist notes, he's a weird guy-they say 'very strange" but I don't think this is license though perhaps Anderson Cooper feels differently as he's an expert on quibbling over minor questions.

     In his article for Parade, Romney has this offer he seems to think Americans can't refuse-if you elect me, I might repatriate all my tax havens. OK, he doesn't say that exactly. But he says something about being "happy to bank in the U.S"-if he's elected. So he will consider paying his taxes only if we elect him?

    Talk about making an offer too easy to refuse! I guess though we could sorely use the hundreds of millions of dollars he's got in the Cayman's it's too steep a price having him anywhere near the Oval Office-can you imagine the embarrassment of him representing us internationally-just see his July Vacation: laughing stock of Britain, a racist slur against Arabs in the Middle East, and his thuggish aide Rick Gorka screaming out "Kiss my ass!" right in front of one of Poland's most holy sites.

     "Mitt Romney might repatriate his vast overseas holdings if he is elected president, the GOP candidate said in an interview with Parade magazine."

     "The family-friendly periodical asked readers what questions the Romneys should be asked during the interview, which led to the question on Romney's offshore funds."

      "There were a number of questions about your financial wealth," Parade noted. "New Jersey resident Harry H. asked if you would make this pledge: If elected, do you promise to bank in the United States?"
Romney first replied by claiming that the decision was out of his hands. "My investments have been managed for almost the last 10 years by a blind trust. A trustee decides where to put our money. If I'm president, my understanding is the same principle applies, that I may not direct any of my investments. I can't tell you what my investments might be because I won't make them," he said. "But I'm happy to have every investment in the United States."

     http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/25/mitt-romney-bank_n_1830307.html

    Ok. I'm not exactly sure what he's promising here. He's still standing by his and Ann Romney's version of 'The dog ate my homework' with this talk about blind trusts.

    My guess is that most Americans don't want to elect a guy President who will only pay his taxes if we elect him President.

    Anyway with someone as accomplished a flip-flopper-a true Olympian at his sport-as Governor Romney I think any campaign promise of his needs to be notarized.

    I'm more and more coming to suspect that Romney would better be served running for President abroad. Why do I say this?

    "Over the last decade, Romney has paid an unusually high amount of foreign taxes, even for an investor as wealthy as he is, and he has been able to substantially reduce his U.S. tax bill as a result."

    "Romney may have earned as much as $25 million in foreign investment income while serving as governor of Massachusetts and campaigning for president."

     Couldn't he run in one of those countries he paid all those taxes to? I mean as he paid them so we wouldn't benefit from them, I think he deserves their vote much more than ours.

     As the Economist puts it:

     "America won’t vote for that man; nor would this newspaper."

     http://diaryofarepublicanhater.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-economist-isnt-sold-on-romney-either.html

      Mitt's hope is one of those countries he paid all those taxes to.

4 comments:

  1. Just like McCain said he would tell us how to get Bin Laden if he was elected.

    Turns out Obama didnt need his advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah you aint kidding Greg! McCain was better than Romney though-Mitt didn;t think catching Bin Laden was a priority.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something happens to these repub moderates once they get a pres nomnation.

    Where o where are the good old time republicans?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Basically extinct. The days of moderate Republicans are basically over.

    ReplyDelete