Pages

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Steve Waldman Calls For an Economic Detente

       I admit I've been urging a war between say the MMers and the MMTers. I also found the Krugman-Keen debate interesting though somewhat perplexing. Steve however was not a fan of that debate and actually even suggests there could be some peace between MMT, MM and the New Keynesians. He also mentions the sectarian struggle between MMT and MMR but no one outside MMT circles could have any idea of that.

       For my part it's been enough for me to figure out what MMT is about-a lot of it works for me. But I'm not even going to try to figure out what argument there is between MMT and the new offshoot MMR (Modern Monetary Realism).

       Of Krugman-Keen, Waldman says:

       "People I admire were calling each other nasty names last week, so I cowered in the corner, put my hands to my ears, and hummed very loudly. I’m talking about the debate over money and banking that involved Steve Keen (1, 2, 3, 4, 5), Paul Krugman (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7), Nick Rowe (1, 2, 3), Scott Fullwiler, and Randy Wray among others. Here are some summaries by Edward Harrison, John Carney, and Unlearning Economics. Anyway, although there were some good moments, this debate just made me unhappy. The mechanics of banking are straightforward and uncontroversial, although they are widely misunderstood. [1] Yes, some misunderstandings were expressed and then glossed over rather than acknowledged when corrected. But that is to be expected in a very public conversation in which people are not behaving cordially, but are instead playing “gotcha” with one another. When a conversation is framed with one group calling the other mystics and the other shouting “Ptolemy!”, that is not a good sign."

     "I don’t mean this as criticism of anybody. Humans have egos, and I’ve certainly behaved worse. But it is terribly frustrating to me. The protagonists in this debate have much more in common than they have apart, and I think some progress could be made intellectually, and perhaps in the governance of the real world, if they’d communicate with an eye toward finding where they agree. Though I get in trouble for saying so, I think that the heterodox post-Keynesians, mainstream saltwater economists, and uncategorizable market monetarists actually agree on a lot. I think they unnecessarily pick fights with one another for reasons that are more sociological than intellectual. I don’t mean to pretend that they don’t have important theoretical differences. They do. They will probably never agree on what sort of policy would be “optimal”. But if we move the goal posts from perfection to better-than-the-status-quo, they’d find a lot of room to join forces. I do my best to understand all of their models, and as imperfectly as I may have done so, I think I’ve learned from them all."

      It's a rather surprising thought-this call for more rapprochement between these schools. He thinks there the chance for a lot of commonality.

      "When I think about these three groups, I don’t think, HIghlander-style, “There can be only one!”. I think “Cool! Let’s put these ideas together.”

      "There are lots of issues and controversies, but they strike me as far from insurmountable."

       http://www.interfluidity.com/v2/date/2012/04

       See, I admit I've sometimes felt that they are insurmountable. I mean when I first started reading the MMers-starting with Scott Sumner I was very intrigued. However what bothered me is I begun to understand that for Scott anyway it's an either/or-NGDP targeting is to take fiscal stimulus off the table. His many posts razzing Keynesians, talking how the "fiscal multiplier is roughly zero", he even had a post that uncharitably declared that Keynes was not a great investor because in the early 20s he lost money in the market and his father had to help him.

      By that standard Romney has no right to declare himself a great businessman.

      For my part I've been very vexed by this whole fiscal-monetary divide. I then came across MMT which also really intrigued me. They are closer to me on many things ideologically though I don't know that I would call myself an MMTer I do like a lot of what they say-including the JG. Indeed I myself has long thought we should bring back the PWA-but permanently.

      However, Steve's more optimistic take is very therapeutic. He is also very knowledgeable-I learn a lot every time I read one of his posts-I'm very new to his site. But it may be just the right medicine. Although I do respect a lot of MMT ideas, I do find their tone as Krugman has said somewhat carping-sometimes. Not all of them, but some of them have the unpleasant tactic of putting the choice to you as "Do you still beat your grandmother?"

      Sometimes they seem to argue in the vein of "You should agree with us and if you don't your either an idiot who doesn't understand banking or a fake liberal who doesn't want real change."

      Don't get me wrong I don't understand banking nearly as much as would be beneficial and I am trying to learn. I really do like the MMter's patron stain, Minsky a lot. While again I don't know if I would call myself an MMTer-sounds too "cutllike" to me somehow, I'm very careful about preserving my own individuality and independence of thought, I don't want the kind of sectarian struggles we saw between MMT and the offshoots in Cullen Roche's MMR; I would call myself however a Post Keynesian so I am very close to MMT.

     What I am learning from Minsky is that the banking sector is very important in modern capitalist economies. While many of the MMTers are left populists and bash banks a lot, as I read Minsky the financial sector is like what he says of the government-"both a blessing and a curse."

    While there may well be serious reforms and changes that need to be made in the financial economy there is no question of a healthy growing economy without a strong financial sector.

     The trouble is what Minsky calls the Financial Instability Hypothesis (FIH). The financial sector tends towards instability. Indeed, his point is that all capitalist orders at some point become unstable. In capitalism you can have stability for a considerably long period but it can never last forever. So while the New Deal Capitalism that emerged after WWII was very healthy at some point-due to its success, the financial sector begun to change, to expand and to take on more risk 

    Capitalism at some point always ends up being a victim of its own success. But as I read Minsky simple reflexive bashing the banks only takes you so far-it's better to talk about how you think the financial sector should be constructed than simply make the point that has been expressed a zillion times since 2008 that the banks sure are awful. Even if true we do need a healthy financial economy and we do need available credit. With no credit the economy couldn't grow.

    
    "One nice thing about a monetarist / saltwater / post-Keynesian synthesis, the thing that has me most excited, is that it would be perfectly possible to give our nouveau central bank a mandate that explicitly includes restraint of private-sector leverage in addition to an NGDP target. I think that the post-Keynesians are right to identify financial fragility as a first-order macro concern. On its own, NGDP path targeting would help “mop up” after financial fragility and collapse, because it weds depressions to inflations, engineering wealth transfers from creditors to debtors when things go wrong. But we’d rather avoid the whole cycle of fragility, insolvency, and inflation, if we can. Monetarist David Beckworth has pointed out that stimulative monetary policy need not expand bank-mediated imbalances between creditors and debtors. Proper expectations could encourage creditors to spend (and, implicitly, debtors to save), reducing overall indebtedness. That could happen! But it has not been our experience with expansionary monetary policy in the recent past. Over the Great Moderation, wealth inequality and the indebtedness continually expanded while interest rates were pushed towards zero in order to sustain the pace of debt-funded expenditure. Under an NGDP-targeting regime, however, Beckworth’s view might be vindicated. NGDP-targeting would dramatically increase the vulnerability of creditors to inflation compared to the status quo price-stability commitment. Creditors might become less willing to accumulate large stocks of fixed-income assets, especially as indebtedness and perceived financial instability grows, for fear that a “Minsky moment” will require a path-targeting central bank to engineer a burst of inflation. In my view, nothing has distorted financial market behavior more egregiously than taking inflation risk off the table, which has guaranteed real rents to default-free debt holders, financed if necessary by the taxation of workers and the nonconsumption of the unemployed. Restoring inflation risk to its proper place (a bad economy means crappy real returns even to fixed-coupon debt) may be enough to shift private sector incentives and prevent unwanted accumulations of financial leverage. The market monetarists could be right, full stop."

    
     "But the post-Keynesians might be right that treating financial fragility as an afterthought is never sufficient, that the dynamics of endogenous instability identified by Minsky will not be thwarted by vague fears of inflation among creditors. If macro policy were to include a leverage cap as well as an NGDP path target, and if the central bank were empowered with a broadly targeted fiscal instrument, an unwelcome expansion in private sector leverage could be opposed with a shift towards tighter money but looser fiscal. This would reduce the pace of new borrowing, and accelerate repayment of existing private-sector debt, shifting creditors’ claims from fragile private-sector balance sheets to an expanded public sector debt stock. The NGDP path (with the occasional inflations it imposes) and the leverage cap (with the occasional deficits it engenders) would combine to shape the budget constraint faced by the political branches of government. Loose bank regulation would be paid for with automatic fiscal outflows to constrain leverage rather than via occasional crises and bailouts. The cost of borrowing would be related to the level of aggregate leverage and the government’s consolidated fiscal stance, and would be set reactively rather than actively by the central bank to maintain the
NGDP path subject to an aggregate leverage constraint."

     "Maybe this is a terrible idea. I’m intrigued, but I’m kind of an idiot. The rest of you are very nice and smart and reasonable. You should talk with one another and stop picking fights over how many straw men can dance on the head of a DSGE model. Please."

       My though on the fiscal-monetary divide is largely this. There is a place for both fiscal and monetary stimulus. While I think the MMers go to far in rejecting fiscal stimulus, I do think some MMTers go too far the other way. The real difference between fiscal and monetary stimulus as I'm coming to see it it that they are different types of medicine so neither one can be used mutually exclusively. I came to this view largely by Minsky's analysis of the policy response to the 1974-75 recession. According to Minsky this could have been a depression, even a worldwide one without the strong government response.

     Fiscal policy increased government transfer payments exponentially. Particularly UI increased by a factor of 4 in 1975. The other part was the Fed's assistance to the banks. It must be remembered that the reason for being for the Fed is to ensure the stability of the financial system. And whatever justified criticism the Fed deserves-for my part it's it's "independence" that is most problematic, I think that reforms in the form of people like Barney Frank, and the late Henry Gonzalez would improve the concern over "regulatory capture."-it has overall been a very successful system. Prior to the Federal Reserve Act in 1913 we had a recession about one out of every two years in the previous 40 years-the age of the classical gold standard. We also of course had a bank panic about once every 3 or 4 years. There is no way to deny the dramatically improved post-Fed performance.

    It's interesting that in Britian the BOE is directly answerable to the fiscal authorities-they can literally instruct the BOE to do NGDP or inflation targeting or whatever else.

    In any case this strong government response both at the fiscal and monetary level worked. It was the first recession that saw national income increase. To be sure Minsky does say that in the long run this made the system more fragile. Still I don't see how we can't think that 1975 was a much better policy response than 2008.

    If there is anyone thing that Steve says I agree with it is this:

      "In my view, nothing has distorted financial market behavior more egregiously than taking inflation risk off the table, which has guaranteed real rents to default-free debt holders, financed if necessary by the taxation of workers and the nonconsumption of the unemployed. Restoring inflation risk to its proper place (a bad economy means crappy real returns even to fixed-coupon debt) may be enough to shift private sector incentives and prevent unwanted accumulations of financial leverage. The market monetarists could be right, full stop."

     Absolutely that has been a problem and it's a large part of why I far from see the Great Moderation as an entirely unproblematically good period of US monetary history

     While I may disagree with Scott Sumner on many things one thing I will agree with is his comments about Steve:

       "No time to comment on his new post, however I never get depressed reading Steve Waldman. But I do strongly disagree with this:
I’m intrigued, but I’m kind of an idiot. The rest of you are very nice and smart and reasonable.
Steve’s so nice and smart and reasonable that reading his posts makes me realize that I need to try harder.

        http://www.themoneyillusion.com/?m=201204&paged=5       

13 comments:

  1. Interesting to see you take on JKH! Am still reading Steve's post...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Becky! I'm new to Steve but I got to say I'm impressed. What do you think of the idea of detente between the economic schools?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm studying the situation - at least there is still the chance to work things out online but some days I remain convinced the real work is going to have to take place offline. Admittedly I wade into some deep waters trying to represent a 'voice' among the lower classes, but who else wants to do that?! I hope that Steve is encouraged to post more often, because he seems to fill a niche that is not easy for others to provide.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think he's able to provide some clarity. I don't deny the off line role but I wouldn't underestimate the online role. Remember we've seen some revolutions through the social media-Egypt most notably but also Occupy Wall Street.

    The theory side is very important it's not just practice-for if you act without theory what are you acting for?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting you mentioned the theory - that is so important and what keeps me coming back. But, it's my 'curse' that I see things so differently and have my own theories so I constantly try to see where I can link them up with others. Plus there is a gap between the educated and the not so educated that really needs to be bridged. There are a lot of folks (such as Dan Kervick) who don't think that is important, but to me it is vital.

    ReplyDelete
  6. But does bridging the gap basically mean that mean we have to not discuss intricate theory out of deference to those who don't get it?

    I can't agree with that. To be sure in the political realm there are ways to reach average people and lay people. I myself of course am really a "lay person" in economics but I am very interested in it and have been able to learn quite a bit about it.

    My only concern is not that this means no intellectually interesting subjects can be spoken of before "eveyrone is on the same page" as if that will ever totally happen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the political realm does right now is hide its true intentions behind what it says. Or, if it does reveal its true feelings about the lower classes it get increasingly dismissive about them as do some economists unfortunately. I agree that everyone needs to understand economic theory even if a lot of economists are not yet convinced this is necessary, if only because the political realm is not honest. People may not be on the same page again until they find better ways to redefine wealth, and sometimes I think economists are not trying hard enough to encourage that while they still can. I believe that many among the lower classes could come to the aid of everyone else in ways they have not even imagined...if they are given a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well Becky speaking for myself as Keynesian I certainly do want to help the lower classes. IMO Dan Kervick does too.

    In economic terms when you say if you gave the lower classes a chance they'd have more to contribute that is why I'm a Keynesian.

    I agree, in econmic terms we would say that there are many productive forces totally unused.

    I have come to prefer economics in some way to th usual politics because I feel that here you are dealing more with verifable facts and not just someone's opinion.

    I'm a liberal, certainly much more liberal than many at Money Illusion-certainly more than Scott-but in many ways I do like both that site and the whole econo blogosphere.

    When I have been to more political sites that you would think I would do well at like Democratic Underground, Daily Kos, and Firedoglake it hasn't been for me.

    So understand that what I'm interested in is not remote from the lower classes. I seek a much more efficent and humane economy and society.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mike

    Want to respond much more to this post and to many of your other posts (Ive been out of town for 4 days and the hotel wanted 30$/day for internet service....screw that!) but I will first try and fill you in on the differences with MMT& MMR.


    Basically MMR is MMT without a strong state theory of money, a JG prescription or suggestions to nationalize banks when they go kaboom.

    MMR was started by Cullen Roche, Mike Sankowski and the "guy known as Beowulf". Cullen and Mike had very interesting MMT related sites (Cullen still posts at his "Pragmatic Capitalism") But have branched off in a new MMTish direction they call MMR.

    Without going into too much detail and risking inaccurate claims Ill sum up the story by saying that there was a prolonged discussion on Cullens site about the JG where Cullen expressed reservations with the idea. More accurately, reservations with the idea that this "prescription" should be part and parcel to the "descriptive" aspects of MMT which Cullen has absolutely zero qualms with. After some time Cullen felt that he could not call himself an MMT acolyte and be against a JG, or at least not strongly for ( He's noted he's not necessarily against it just that the economic arguments supporting it are weak). In addition he doesnt agree with the level of monopolist that others like Warren Mosler like to ascribe to the "state" when explaining Modern Money.

    Basically MMR is more horizontalist, focusing on private money (since this is about 80% of the money in the economy) but calling for a more balanced action action on part of fiscal and monetary policy. Many MMRists agree that banks have gotten out of control, that monetary policy is pretty worthless in todays environment and that the focus on govt debt and deficits is terribly misguided, they just part ways with MMTists on some of the prescriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well Greg, welcome back! I look forward to more of your comments.

    Thanks for some backgournd on MMT vs. MMR. I wouldn't call myself MMT-or MMR-but I would call myself Post Keynesian and agree with them on a lot.

    I like the JG idea, and myself would like to see something like the odl PWA come back. Like MMT I'd like to see this be permanent rather than as it was in the New Deal-an emergency, expiring measure.

    I'm not necessarily a fan of the idea of maing things too doctrainre-I mean people should be able to disagree on certain things without tomatos being thrown.

    Irnonically on the matter of description I probably like the MMT gloss better. I think the idea of the government as a currency monoplist has a lot to reccomend it or at least is a heatlhy corrective from the common libertarian belief in a barter economy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cullens point on monopolist seems to be that while the govt COULD exercise a monopoly on money issuance they dont. The reality is the banks issue credit money at THEIR whims and wishes and the govt, via the CB, must meet their demand for reserves by policy. I think he has a good point here but this is a relatively new (last 20-30 years or so) phenomena as I understand it. Post Great Depression, banking reform laws put privately issued bank money in a lower position to govt money and we had like 50+ yrs of financial stability. Reagan came along, then Clinton and co dismantled all banking regulatons in early 90s and here we are.


    MMT it seems wants to look historically and see that when we have had rigorous oversight of banks we've had pretty stable financial markets and few crises. Therefore they prescribe a return to that. A return to govt taking their rightful place ABOVE financial institutions, not just alongside.

    We dont have to get rid of banks, just make them work in a way that is less destabilizing. In additon we need to separate "banking" from "gambling in financial markets". Vegas is a great place and people should be free to lose all of THEIR OWN money their that they wish. They have no right to put public money at risk.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "The reality is the banks issue credit money at THEIR whims and wishes and the govt, via the CB, must meet their demand for reserves by policy. I think he has a good point here but this is a relatively new (last 20-30 years or so) phenomena as I understand it. "

    So Greg is the idea for MMT that the government is the currency monopolist except that it has abdicated it's role? But before the last 20-30 years banks could still issue credit could they not?

    What wss really different? I'm sure things are I'm just asking what they were. I know about Glass-Steagall though the barn door was already wide open by it's-partial repeal in 1999. I know a major change that lead to the crisis in the Savings and Loans was when there was no more cap on the interst rate that could be charged depositors.

    No question though things were much better before the last 30 years.

    What I do get is that MMT are Post Keynesians and get most of their inspirations directly from Minsky-this is clear after reading him at all.

    Minsky is ulimately somewhat pessimistic-for him there is no permanent fisnancial stability in a capitalist economy, though we can have stability for awhile as we did in the early postwar era.

    By the late 50s he was already seeing signs of new financial instablity and the first real ban crisis we had-according to his history-was in 1966.

    We had a number more of crises in teh coming years but in the early years the Fed was always able to stablize the system.

    Whatever the reforms we do need for the current financial system, they won't look exactly like the New Deal era as that system ran it's course and gave way to what we see now.

    But as I read him, Keen, and Schumpeter banks are like what some say about women-"can't live with them can't live without them."

    ReplyDelete
  13. "So Greg is the idea for MMT that the government is the currency monopolist except that it has abdicated it's role? But before the last 20-30 years banks could still issue credit could they not?"


    I think that is a pretty good way to look at it. They have abdicated their role. For political reasons. Yes a 100% vertical system with no or extremely little private credit would likely not be desireable either, its about balance, but we have lost all semblance of balance. Over relying on banks means over relying on monetary policy.

    Certainly banks issued credit prior to the last thirty years but they didnt have the size of institutions nor did they have the overlap of investment and commercial banks like they do now. These were all legislative decisions to strengthen horizontal credit creation and push it above govt fiscal adjustments. This is how I understand it.

    MMT simply wants to say that the govt does have a responsibility to banks and the payment system via the CB but it also has a responsibility to the people. There needs to be a public purpose served by govt fiat. Banks dont give shit about public purpose.

    Taxpayers are starting to see through the veil it seems. There is never a "we dont have the money or we cant afford to bail out banks" but there is a constant "can we afford medicare..... social security...? Its ALL affordable. We just decide what is more important.

    WE!!!

    ReplyDelete