Pages

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

How The Mike Lupica Sports Media Made Me an A-Rod Fan

     It's really out of character for me as for the most part I don't root for the player, I root for the uniform. If a great player helps my team win I love him, but if tomorrow he goes to play somewhere else well, Sayonara. Why would for someone that leaves the Yankees-my favorite team-to the Mets-my least favorite team?

     However, the incessant braying of the NY sports media on the alleged evil of Alex Rodriguez has finally done it: I now find myself really, actively rooting for a player. 

     I am of course a Yankee fan first and foremost, and I agree with other fans that what counts is simply whether or not he can play-not rehashing what he said or didn't say in the past nor trying to coax more 'apologies' from him-apologize for what? I don't understand. If steroids are as harmful as they say then I guess the main injured party is his own body-why would he owe me or anyone else an apology?

    http://diaryofarepublicanhater.blogspot.com/2015/03/is-it-time-for-war-on-war-on-steroids.html

    The constant harping though has led me to find myself actively rooting for A-Rod, I want him to do well, Firstly because the Yanks really need some power after last year's anemic team that scored 633 runs all year. 

   http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/batting

    By the way, looking at how anemic the season run totals for baseball teams were last year-the average team only scored 659 which is less than the Tampa Bay Devil Rays scored in 2006 who were last in runs in the entire league that year. 

    http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/batting/year/2006

    Is this the great benefit we're supposed to be so glad for in driving steroids out of the sport? I sometimes fear we've entered a new Dead Ball era. And they wonder why the pass happy QB dominated NFL is so much more popular? Offense sells. 

    However, while I just want the Yanks to win, I have to admit I'm hoping that A-Rod is a big part of this. It'd be so great for him to shut up Mike Lupica and Michael Kay-both writers that I usually like but who I'm just sick and tired of their endless hectoring about Rodriguez-I'd love it if he gets more than 20 homers and bats in more RBIs than anyone could imagine. 

    It remains to be seen, but he is starting March out the right way. He's the first to admit that doesn't mean anything but still it's better than going 0 for 9. 

    "Alex Rodriguez continues to downplay his solid start to the spring, though even he couldn’t deny that it’s been better than the alternative."

    "A-Rod went 2-for-3 with two singles and his first RBI of the spring in Monday’s 4-3 win over the Rays at Steinbrenner Field. He’s 4-for-9 with two walks in four games."

   “It doesn’t really mean anything,” Rodriguez said. “I’ve played for a long time. It’s better than 0-for-9, I guess.”

    "With runners at second and third and one out, A-Rod hit a soft liner to left field in his first at-bat, giving the Yankees a 1-0 lead. It’s been a long time since Rodriguez has driven in a run in any type of game, but he wasn’t trumpeting it as any meaningful moment."

    “Nothing’s really significant this time of the year,” Rodriguez said. “I’m a run producer so I was just trying to get the run in. It doesn’t have to be pretty, just get it in.”

    "While A-Rod seemed uninspired by his own play, he raved about what he’s seen from Greg Bird and Aaron Judge, the Yankees’ top two hitting prospects."

    “Two of the finest young hitters I've seen in a long time,” Rodriguez said. “You don’t see those type of young hitters come around very often. We’re lucky to have two of them. I’m very impressed.

     http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/a-rod-plays-cool-hot-start-yankees-spring-training-article-1.2143281

    Another knock the Lupica media is always levelling is that he's a phony who just tries to say the right thing. Ok, well that's better than 'being real' and saying all the wrong things. It's nice to hear him praise these new prospects and let's hope he's right as the Yanks haven't had great homegrown prospects in so long-it's hard to remember the time when Jeter and company came up. 

    Let's go Yankees! Good luck A-Rod!

   

  

   

   

   

     

    

No comments:

Post a Comment