Pages

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Erin Burnett's Let Em Eat Cake Moment

    I gotta say that I'm inclined to give Erin a pass on her recent impolitic comments.

    http://mediamatters.org/blog/201110070005

     Why do I give her a pass where I haven't for people like Rush Limbaugh, Herman Cain, or Jim Broun? Is this inconsistent on my part? Maybe. What is different about Erin? For one thing, quite honestly, she's a woman. Maybe-again candidly-she brings out my chivalrous instincts a bit. In addition, her piece entitled the snarky "seriously?" was kind of an interesting segment. It wasn't a simple slur like in the case of those gentleman listed above or others of their ilk.

     For my feeling about them lest there is any doubt please see

     http://diaryofarepublicanhater.blogspot.com/2011/10/rush-limbaugh-calls-occupy-wall-street.html

     Why should her being a woman make any difference? Well as Zizek-who spoke at Liberty Square on Monday-tells us Woman is a symptom of Man.

      Or as Nietzsche says, "All of humanity is innocent of its existence but woman is doubly innocent. Who can have oil and kindness enough for them?"

       Gay Science, pg. 126, aphorism 68 Walter Kaufman version.

      Interesting that I am going to Nietzsche-often viewed as a hater of womankind-for a defense of a woman .


      Media Matters is asking that she "just apologize." Note that it is not demanding she be fired as some are.

     "The segment, as has been widely discussed this week, was an embarrassment. Not because anchor Burnett aired an opinion or that her opinion was at odds with the populist movement still unfolding in the Financial District. It was embarrassing because of how smug Burnett's critique was."

     She should apologize for how smug she was...   Yet for me I will admit-perversely-that is part of her appeal-her smugness. As someone who used to watch her on CNBC she was always one of my favorites. There are a couple of other female anchors on the show I really liked-especially Melissa Francis but also to a lesser extent Michelle Caruso-Cabera. What I can tell you is that at CNBC itself they're pulling for her. Cause let's face it Burnett's attitude "We are the 1 percent" is kind of the culture at CNBC.

   Again as someone who watches CNBC she strikes me as one of just a few that are on there that I could imagine myself having a decent conversation with under the right circumstances, the only other one would be Melisssa Francis. I'm not sure about Caruso-Cabera she's iffy. If I met her in the optimum circumstances she might chill out a little and open herself up. But Erin and Melissa are my favorites. Again, what I like about Melissa like Erin is her smugness-she never tires of bragging about her her degree was in or where she got it.

    So while I will eviscerate Cain for calling Occupy Wall Street protesters "un-American" and make no bones about it or Limbaugh calling them "stupid" and "human debris", Burnett's attitude I do find appealing in a  (admittedly somewhat perverse) way. If you watch the whole segment it was sort of informative. She did get some people talking. To be sure her tact-you guys use iphones and blackberry's and yet you hate Wall St-is a highly debatable point; after all, even if you have an iphone you can still protest the state of the economy- the entire segment was not irredeemable.
 
   The footage itself was good and her interaction with that guy with the blackberry was interesting. I could see her show "OutFront" working. I don't know that her job is in trouble but I hope not. For now I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt.

    http://outfront.blogs.cnn.com/?SR=sr3_1034681_go
 

No comments:

Post a Comment