Pages

Monday, July 15, 2013

Patrick Sullivan, Thomas Sowell and Why Liberals Get it on Filibuster Reform

     I seem to have a new playmate-the very conservative Patrick Sullivan. We've tangled in the past over at Sumner's Money Illusion. Since my big moment in getting linked to Delong I've heard from Patrick quite a bit. Should I use his last name as evidently we're not friends? I mean he doesn't consider me a friend I'm guessing though I really have no personal animosity of course.

    Sullivan has been leaving a number of comments-mostly to gloat-since George Zimmerman was found innocent. I don't necessarily consider him vindicated as I feel the verdict was wrong. Anyway, Florida law is screwy between having only 6 jurors to stand your ground-which may have had something to do with the verdict though Sullivan and others say no.

    http://diaryofarepublicanhater.blogspot.com/2013/07/is-george-zimmermans-acquittal-about.html

     With him dropping by, I have read some of his blog and I must say in all fairness I consider it pretty well done. I've come across Righties leaving stuff on my blog before but when I checked out their blogs they were just full of putrid racial obscenities. Sullivan's is nothing like this. He makes some pretty good arguments considering I believe him wrong on many things.

     I came across a piece he did about Thomas Sowell who applied the economic concept of a 'free good' or a demand with 'zero price' to his time in the military in the early 50s.

    "Some people were surprised that I dared to give Sergeant Grover a hard time, on this and other occasions, especially since he was a nasty character to deal with. Unfortunately for him, I knew that he was going to give me as hard a time as he could, regardless of what I did. That meant that it didn't really cost me anything to give him as hard a time as I could. Though I didn't realize it at the time, I was already thinking like an economist. Giving Sergeant Grover a hard time was, in effect, a free good and at a zero price my demand for it was considerable."

     http://hisstoryisbunk.blogspot.com/2013/06/sgt-grover-usmc.html

      I've been in similar circumstances. I had a job once, where the boss I had tended to give me a real hard time. As I knew he would regardless, I would give it back to him. Again, many of my coworkers like Sowell's fellows in the military wondered why did this-why didn't I do what I could to placate him. However, I knew he wouldn't take it easier on me because I went out of my way to give no offense. So yes, I took the free good and in time we did have a pretty good relationship-he learned to respect me in a way.

     What's true is when you are dealing with a bully-or at least someone who has malevolent intent towards you for whatever reason-trying to give no offense won't help. Now speaking of bullies, we have Mitch McConnell's Senate GOP filibuster machine. I'm very happy to hear Dems saying that even if the GOP does take back the Senate in 2014 it's time to go nuclear. Indeed, this is another free good, a demand met at a zero price. The GOP tries to intimidate the Dems by evoking how mercilessly they will grind things to a halt if we have filibuster reform. As if it will be any different otherwise.

     As Greg Sargent puts it, if this level of GOP obstruction doesn't justify filibuster reform-what level would? Sargent acknowledges that this precedent could lead to further rollback of the filibuster.

     "No one is claiming this isn’t a legitimate worry. It is. Changing the rules by simple majority really could create precedent for exercising the nuke option to get rid of the filibuster entirely, which could have plenty of negative consequences."

      http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2013/07/15/the-morning-plum-time-to-go-nuclear/

     See, on that I'm not sure I agree. On balance, a case could be made that we're better off without the filibuster in any case-many of the Senate's allegedly August tradition has been changed over time and most people would consider these changes as for the good today. Who thinks we should return to the Senators being chosen not by the citizens of the state but by a small committee, much less the 3/5 of a man compromise. We certainly also would be better off without there being 2 Senators per state regardless of the size of the population-this was another rule to placate the South, enabling it to dominate the country for many years despite being in the minority. 

   This talk by liberals in the Senate show they understand that at this point the nuclear option is a free good. McConnell can't even pretend he's going to back off a little on filibustering everything. 

    "Now that former Montana Governor Brian Schweitzer is not running for Senate, Nate Silver and others are predicting the GOP’s odds of taking back the Senate have improved markedly. Does that weaken the case for doing away with the filibuster on executive nominations, if necessary, on the theory that Dems will regret the move once Republicans are in control?"

     |Not at all. This is about making the Senate functional — whoever is in charge. Indeed, that is the very premise driving those who would reform the Senate — such as leading Senate progressives Jeff Merkley and Tom Udall."
     “This is about going to a simple majority on executive nominations,” Merkely, a leading proponent of Senate reform, told me today. “I support that whether I’m in the majority or in the minority.”
      GOPers today are evoking the idea that they now may have a better shot at retaking the Senate as a warning to Reid and the Democrats. Yet the Senate liberals have the right answer:
     "There’s been a fair amount of chortling on the right today about the confluence of two things: first, the mounting signs that Republicans could take back the Senate; and second, that Harry Reid really may make good on his threat to change the rules. But for would-be Senate reformers, much of this is beside the point. Reform is about rendering the Senate more democratic, which means that the question of who the voters put in charge of the Senate is irrelevant to the question of whether to pursue reform."
     “It’s very important that we not have a situation where a minority of the Senate can essentially impair the functioning of the other two branches of government,” Merkley says. “That’s not advise and consent. It’s obstruct and destroy. Those who care about good government — about making government work better — should want to make these sorts of changes.”
     "Senator Tom Udall, another leading reformer, agrees. “I do not believe the Constitution gives me the right to block a qualified nominee — no matter who is in the White House,” Udall will say in a speech later today, per his office. “I do not believe the Constitution gives me the right to block a qualified nominee — no matter who is in the White House. I say that today, and I will say it if I am in the minority tomorrow.”
      At the end of the day, even if the GOP takes back the Senate in 2014, the Dems will still have the White House. So there's less to fear than meets the eye. However, I agree with Merkley and Udall that it's about making the Senate more democratic. And it's past time to fight back. At this point the status quo is so bad that fighting back is a free good. 
     "To be sure, some are making the case that the way Reid is changing the rules — by simple majority, i.e., the dreaded “nuclear option” — is part of the problem. This could set a precedent for the GOP to do away with the filibuster entirely."
      "There is something to this case, and in some ways, a last minute deal defusing the confrontation would be preferable. But ultimately, if Republicans won’t lift their blockade on key Obama nominations — Harry Reid reiterated today that they must allow seven high profile nominations to proceed or he will hit the nuke button — that leaves Dems with a choice: Either they accept the GOP’s success in grinding key agencies to a halt, or they act. And as Merkley put it to me, what we currently have is “form of paralysis” that leaves acting as the only alternative."

9 comments:

  1. ' I seem to have a new playmate-the very conservative Patrick Sullivan'

    So, you're a profiler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok Patrick this game is rather tired. To equate taxonomy of any kind at all with saying 'what's that black kid doing in my neighborhood he must be up to no good' shows you don't get it.

    I have no problem with you calling me a liberal as that's what I am. So I don't see why you see getting referred to as a conservative-I base this on the positions I've heard you take-the same as a 17 year old boy being profiled to death, I don't know. At least you are still living and breathing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jumping to conclusions based on someones physical characteristics (skin color, hair style or dress) which are obvious for everyone to see is quite different from categorizing someone based on positions and opinions they have expressed openly and without persuasion. In one case you have no idea how they are thinking you are assuming from appearances in the other you already know how they think...... they TOLD you ..... you are simply placing that type of thinking in a mental notebook labeled "conservative" (its a narrow notebook btw)

    Nice try Patrick...... actually it wasnt a nice try, quite weak in fact.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately for you two guys, Trayvon Martin's friend showed up on CNN last night and exposed herself and him as black rednecks. According to her, Trayvon was a bragger, used 'weed' twice a week, sexually profiled Zimmerman as a homosexual rapist--she helped him come to that conclusion--and, she, at least, has a low opinion of old, white people.

    Also, that Trayvon was capable of 'whuppin' someone who creeped him out. Which any normal, red-blooded American boy, 'who isn't that kind of way' would do.

    All out of Jeantel's mouth on the Piers Morgan show last night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, the real bombshell on CNN last night was that juror. So much for anonymity. What's clear is that the prosecution sure dropped the ball letting her on that jury. They couldn't have done much worse having you on the jury. She says she feels 'equally sorry' for both Trayvon and Zimmerman. That makes sense. They're lives are both tragic. You know, Zimmerman was a little inconveninced and Martin is dead.

    Why is pot smoking such a big deal to you? Do you know that writes and blacks smoke 'reefer' at roughly proportionate levels? Martin deserved to die because he smoked pot? I guess we should execute half the kids in America.

    I also watched that video of Zimmerman and what's clear is that that dispatcher wanted him to desist from following Martin and if he had listened the kid wouldn't be dead now.

    Patrick, I've tried to get you to answer this in the past: would Martin still being alive-ie no confrontation with Zimmerman- now be a better or worse outcome for you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You clearly still don't get what profiling means. I'm not sure what your position is. Is it that there is no such thing as profiling, liberals just made up the word, or profiling is legitimate?

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, you have no problem with Trayvon's (literal) gay 'whuppassing' upon Zimmerman? That's clearly what Jeantel said last night;

    '[The jury] they're white...they don't understand...it's just bash, bash [gestures]....Trust me, the area I live, that's not bashing. That's just called whuppass. You got your ass whupped.

    '[That's why I said Zimmerman could be a rapist] For every boy, every man who isn't that kind of way, see a grown man following them, would they be creep out?'

    Which explains why Trayvon didn't just go inside his 'daddy's fiance's' townhouse and watch the NBA All Star game. He was a homophobe. And, it got him killed.

    'Well, the real bombshell on CNN last night was that juror. So much for anonymity. '

    Really, what's her name?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, what's interseting is how she got that book deal so fast. She wants to have her cake and eat it too. She may end up regretting that. Anonymity isn't only about the name. In this day and age it's not necessarily going to be hard to figure out what her name is anyway.

    She thinks she can get rich and famous while being anonymous. We'll see.

    You can't answer the question. You keep deflecting. Are you happy with the outcome-a dead kid. You are in capable of even hypothetically considering this young man's humanity. You and that juror would no doubt be busom buddies. You both price black lives very cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They price all lives very cheap, they just dont know it. Get rid of every black and their ilk would find a new "someone different" to hate and marginalize. Its why their ideology isnt compatible with civilization as we know it. We've achieved the level of society we have in spite of the Patricks, certainly not because of them. With them the tribe gets smaller and smaller. The in group gets more and more inbred.

    ReplyDelete