Pages

Friday, February 20, 2015

Jameis Winston Addresses the Columbine

     After the speech one of the analysts said he thinks it was one of those speeches where i you liked him coming in, you like him more now but if you didn't you like him even less because of: that smile.

     The question then seems to be: is the young man cocky or confident?

     I'll say this, I didn't come in with a strong feeling about him either way, I know his body of work at Florida State speaks for itself. However, just the same I don't think you can ignore his off the fiend problems-he certainly had more of those than you would like particularly if your a team considering rolling the dice and drafting him and grooming him to be the face of your franchise for the next 15 to 20 years.

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jameis_Winston

   No question there is always risk in drafting a franchise QB. Based on his physical skills, what you see on film with him, there's no reason he shouldn't be a very good player in the NFL, but then that's been true of many other would be franchise QBs that didn't pan out.

    It's sort of like you take your money and you take your chances. 

    However, I will say this for young Mr. Winston. I cam e in without a strong feeling about him either way. I knew he did well in college but sometimes players who are great in college aren't so good in the pros; of course starting with Tom Brady the reverse is also often true. Brady grew up rooting for Joe Montana and one thing of number of things he has gone on to share with him is that they were both not respected in their respective draft days, but were drafted late.

   On the other hand, coming in I felt like you can't wholly ignore the off-field stuff, one partiuclarly worrying epside is a claim of sexual assault. Yes, he wasn't charged, but there are those even now who suggest that the authorities in Florida may have looked the other way.

    Having said all that, coming in not really having a strong feeling either way, I came away very impressed by his speech.

    Some analysts suggest that his critics won't be mollified as they want him to twist in the wind over his past. Yet, I didn't find him arrogant at least not in this speech. I found him very well spoken, peronsable, confident but not lacking in humility.

    He did say that he was there to earn the trust of all 32 NFL teams. He understands that people have concernes and that the burden of proof is on him. All he can do his be himself. What I saw looked pretty good. He's very intelligent and again, I didn't think he was arrogant. Yes, he talked about competing against Brady and Rogers, but that seemed like the right attitude.

    It's just a first impression and time will tell. But I felt like those who say he's a winner got some support this afternoon. I think he did the right thing in doing Columbine as well. Some were saying that he shouldn't have to prove anything and they should just look at his tapes. That would have been arrogant. But I think he hit on just the right approach here. If I were a team looking at him in Tampa say, I'd be looking a little more closely after that.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment