Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Sometimes Good Things Do Happen to Nice People

     With apologies right off the bat, I am being presumptuous enough to call myself a nice person though I don't think that's untrue.

      In any case this post is about something good that happened to me. It's a bit of a digression from the main event-which is calling out Scott Sumner and other Right wing hacks; you know like Robert Lucas-who used to giggle at "Keynesian talk" in class back in 1980-and John Cochrane.

      There is also the incredible NY Giants of 2011 so much like 2007, who says lightning can't strike twice? But this post is personal-I get personal some times. Something good happened to me this morning.

       It shows that what seems unthinkable often turns out to be very thinkable and possible. Last week I also got personal and told you guys I finally have a new job. I always think it's important to get personal about that because when I write about these subjects in economics and politics while they interest me, they are also personal to me.

      I know first had that times are tough. I have been unemployed or underemployed since 2008. I have a Bachelors degree in accounting and am close to a Masters so it's not a question of education. Indeed I've gone to job fairs where people with advanced degrees are reduced to the level where they'll take any job they can get no matter how "demeaning." For more on my new job please see

      http://diaryofarepublicanhater.blogspot.com/2012/01/sorry-ive-been-out-few-days-got-job.html

      My job is as a security guard. The only real down side to it is it pays nothing-$8 hr. As that's more than the minimum wage maybe Sumner wont hold it against me as they are "willing to pay" me more than this minimum that he thinks is retarding a recovery.

      It's not a bad gig besides that-though obviously that is the main thing-I basically sit in a nice gate house-at a gated community-and buzz people in. I have to work tonight but am visiting my friend today so I figured rather than bring changing clothes I would just wear the uniform all day.

     This morning an attractive woman with some kind of nice accent-I believe Hispanic; I like Hispanic women-asked me some questions about the bus. Then she started asking me about myself-was I married, where do I work, etc.

      When I told her I'm not married and have no kids she said "Don't worry, you will be soon." I took that to be a pretty good hint so I suggested that we exchange numbers.

      A few things that strike me. I don't know Maggie's story or what will be to each other. Hopefully if nothing else a friend-I never expect anything more than that starting out, I let what develops develop but never plan beyond that; like the football players tell us, it's all about "staying within yourself."

     But it's funny cause often people say that you have to "put yourself out there" you can't expect a pretty woman to just come to you and ask you out. Yet clearly sometimes that does happen...

     I wonder how much my uniform helped-"the man in uniform" thing is a keeper. Maybe I should wear it more often. LOL.

     Doesn't it really seem like telling a prospective woman about yourself is like telling a prospective employer? She asked me where I live, where I work, if I'm married, if I have kids. She thinks practically. I'm not blaming her probably that's how most smart women do think, and I agree they should do so.

    Anyways here's to a world of possibilities.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment