Pages

Friday, December 16, 2011

Survivor: Sophie's Most Likely to Succeed?

     After writing my last piece about how clueless Brandon was-giving immunity to Albert-and how Albert mismanaged the game, it occurs to me in reading Sophie's bio that he may have been right in wanting to target her.

    Still he overestimated his own strength and place in the game-Sophie is the closest to Coach. Reading her bio though it's clear he was right in reasoning that she's a tremendous threat. I already suspected she was, she is clearly smart, and attending medical school. She's very well spoken and hard not to like. Listen to what she says about herself. Her reason for being on Survivor is:

    "To win money! I have been bragging to friends for way too long about how easy “Survivor” is and how good I would be. I would like to have the freedom in Med. School to choose my specialty based on passion and not money and the potential to more quickly pay my debts."

    "I am tough, smart and driven. People will trust and like me even though they should not. I will piss people off, yet be convincing and heartfelt enough at the end to make them give me the money. I will mess with their minds and beat their bodies! I think it might actually be easy. "

     She describes herself as: "Purposeful, resilient and shrewd."

     That ability to be "convincing and heartfelt" while getting the better of people is exactly the vibe I get from her.

     Survivor is a tricky game. To win to things are helpful-to be a really strong, physical player and win challenges. And to play a real good "social game." Generally speaking the strongest player is usually male. Each team may see an early alpha guy who's strong and wins challenges. Others follow him for protection.  In the end though it's a popularity contest. This in many ways it seems to me plays to female strengths-think about it, wasn't it the girls in school that were really good at being popular and well liked?

    There has been so many seasons I can think of where the strongest player doesn't win but his second or third in command one-whether these second bananas are male or female. Many males aren't that strong either and so play more of a "woman's game." I will always remember Lex who made it to the final 2 with Ethan who had always followed him. At the end they voted for Ethan.  Albert sort of played it in the middle. He's not someone who believes in exerting himself too much, he thought he could win by being liked and tricking people. It's backfired on him now.

     At this point we have two potential alpha males-Coach and Ozzie, who I presume will be back this week after he makes short work of Brandon. My guess is that Albert will be gone next and that Coach will make good on his promise to Ozzie when he visited the island thanks to Ozzie's gift. It will be Ozzie, Coach and Sophie. At this point neither lines up well against Sophie-the alpha dog usually loses at the end to his lieutenant. Such is the way of Survivor.

2 comments:

  1. Lex did not get to the end. Kim Johnson did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean the meann the first season he was on and teamed up with Tom and Ethan? So you mean it was Kim and Ethan at the end?

    What happened he was out at third? Still makes my point-that the strongest players often lose to others who ride their coat tails- but thanks for correction

    The big story though anonymous is I was right about Sophie!

    ReplyDelete