Pages

Monday, June 10, 2013

Happy Birthday Diary of a Republican Hater

    Technically, it was yesterday-June 9 as it was June 9, 2011 that I wrote my first post here at Diary-a quixotic little 'defense of Anthony Weiner.'

    http://diaryofarepublicanhater.blogspot.com/2011_06_01_archive.html

    Now it seems a little less quixotic as Weiner is making something of a comeback with some encouraging poll numbers in his bid for New York Mayor. After 2 years of penance-including enrolling in a sex addicts class; he didn't even have any sex with anyone he was just sending tweets-he's back.

   http://diaryofarepublicanhater.blogspot.com/2013/06/huffington-post-plays-lucy-with.html

   Don't get me wrong, he's still a long shot though I'd love nothing more than to see him do it-what a story that would be; only in America. It would be nice to stick it to all the sanctimonious moral scolds-as if many of them haven't done much more than tweet-including, unfortunately. many Democrats like Governor Cuomo and Harlem Congressman Charlie Rangel. I've got to say it's quite something to see Rangel of all people behaving so piously-it's not as if he hasn't ever faced ethics charges. Oh wait.

   Hypocrisy, and a rush to be the one to throw the first stone may just be in most of these politicians DNA. Even Bill Clinton-Bill Clinton-was throwing stones at Weiner back in 2011, expressing moral outrage about his bad judgment. 

    Yesterday was technically Diary's birthday, but I was kind of preoccupied being a Sunday. Actually I was devouring Steven King's the Shining. I had seen it as a kid about 20 years ago and then recently seen it again. I hadn't remembered just how good it was. However, this was the Jack Nicholson-Stanley Kubrick one. I wanted to try the version King himself later directed-though this was considered to be a flop by the critics.

   However, it wasn't available on Kindle so I just bought the actual King book. Amazon lets me see things on the Cloud Player-so you don't really need a Kindle.

   I still haven't seen King's movie but the book is gold-what a mind fuck! While I love the Kubrick-book which I can read on Kindle-I don't have a Kindle, but Amazon lets me read it on the Amazon Cloud Nicholson version, I now fully understand why King was unsatisfied with it-in Kubrick's version the wife-mother Wendy doesn't even have the right hair color-the book is pretty clear that her hair is blond-'golden.'

   Ultimately, it seems though that the world is bigger enough for both movies and the book; just realize that while Kubrick's take on it is great, it's very different from the book-partly because Nicholson as usual just makes very part himself. If you really like the Kubrick version-my guess is most people have seen that if anything, and you want to know more-as I did-you got to read the book; also try King's movie though I haven't seen this yet either.

    Yet, the critics seemed not to like King's piece. My guess is that King didn't like Kubrick's film as it conveyed so little information. Also the husband-father, Jack, has no real breakdown with Nicholson playing him as he's pretty clearly violently nuts from the first scenes.

   In the book you get that Jack has some major issues and that he's not strong enough to overcome them but still you get that he really wants to be different and there is some genuine sadness that he can't be.

   Yes, I tend to like 'mind fucks' as far as movie's are concerned-of course often like in the case of King, it's hard for a movie to convey it like the book does. Among my favorite movies, besides Shining, is the Exorcist III, House of 1000 Corpses and Devil's Rejects. Those are all basically horror flicks I guess, but another moie I love is Glen Gary Glen Ross. So yeah, on movies I often like the dark side-though not always.

  Anywho, regarding Diary, it's been a great first two ye rs, and thank you to those who continue to come back and make this blog what it is. I bumped into someone else yesterday who's not a fan of the blog name. I bumped into him here in Baldwin at Silver Lake. He was telling me how he was running for office here and plans to run on turning over the Second Amendment. He urged me to Facebook others about his candidacy.

  So I Facebooked him and asked him to take a look at Diary. Turns out he's 'against hate.' He wants me to tell him if I'm for it or not. This is a guy who wants to overturn the Second Amendment and he has a problem with a blog title? Even I don't really want to overturn the Second Amendment-though I get the arguement that the countries that have taken away everyone's guns as the NRA always wrongly says we're trying to do in the U.S. of A-have ended epidemic gun violence, not surprisingly. I also don't see how he thinks he'll be able to do that; if I udnerstand correctly, he's only running for a county seat.

   I told him that he should turn on his ironymeter and that it's up to him but if he can't he's missing out. Whatever, I guess lots lack the sense of irony to read Diary. He's another who wants me to call it Diary of a Republican Lover.

    http://diaryofarepublicanhater.blogspot.com/2013/06/should-i-call-this-blog-diary-of.html

    I understand the title is something of a double-edged sword. It's catchy and it stirs up visceral emotions-which I like. However, a lot of people don't get irony. Which is why I started my blog in the first place.

    http://diaryofarepublicanhater.blogspot.com/2011/08/i-hit-trifecta-now-democratic.html

    http://diaryofarepublicanhater.blogspot.com/2011/08/banned-from-big-liberal-blogsophere.html

     In any case, I can't change the title now as how would anyone be able to find me? At this point, it's a big part of the brand.

    Anyway, I really appreciate all my readers. Thanks for stopping by. It's been a great 2 years. The next 2, however, will be better.

     Now I must do the telethon thing again-I won't do it too much, just about every month or so. If you really like the content here at Diary-and evidently you do, if you've gotten this far-consider a small donation. Think of it as a $5 dollar plan. For just $5 you can do a lot to help Diary get to that next level.

     It's what they call in economics the 'composition effect.' While $5 by itself may not be enough, if all those who loved Diary were to donate $5 it'd really have a tremendous effect. You don't have to tell me that times are tight. Still whatever you can do is appreciated. If you can't spare anything right now, your visiting Diary is still very appreciated.

    Almost as much as those who can. No, seriously folks.

    If you can't make your rent money without the $5, don't donate. If you can't buy lunch, or pay for your gas without it, you shouldn't donate either. However, if you can't buy that pack of cigarettes, it would actually be a win-win. Not only would I thank you but so would your health.

   I'm just saying.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment