Pages

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Conneticut Passed Homeless Bill of Rights

     With the many draconian anti abortion laws being passed by GOPers at the state level-they want it at the federal level too, the GOP House just passed a 20 week limit on abortions-down from the current 24-but it's thankfully DOA in the Senate it's good to see that one state is doing something other than passing reactionary and legally very questionable new bills. For the astonishing attack of the GOP on women see here. 

   

     Connecticut is a state going the other way. They've just passed a 'homeless person's bill of rights' which disallows discrimination against someone who is homeless. 

     "Connecticut is on the cusp of enacting a major new law to protect people who are homeless from discrimination."
     "Last week, Connecticut lawmakers passed the “Homeless Person’s Bill Of Rights” at the literal 11th hour — 11:30pm on June 5th, one half hour before the legislative session ended. The bill, SB 896, a landmark piece of legislation to protect homeless individuals’ rights, adds homeless people as a protected class who can’t be discriminated against in employment, housing, or public accommodations. It also includes protections for homeless people to move freely in public spaces, such as parks and sidewalks, without being singled out for harassment by law enforcement officers."
      "Here are the bill’s seven protections:
(1) Move freely in public spaces, including on public sidewalks, in public parks, on public transportation and in public buildings without harassment or intimidation from law enforcement officers in the same manner as other persons;
(2) Have equal opportunities for employment;
(3) Receive emergency medical care;
(4) Register to vote and to vote;
(5) Have personal information protected;
(6) Have a reasonable expectation of privacy in his or her personal property; and
(7) Receive equal treatment by state and municipal agencies.

     http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/06/12/2139181/connecticut-homeless/

     Actually, we could use something like this everywhere. Just last week I ran into what clearly is discrimination against someone with no car-my car was repo'd in 2011.. I had an interview last week for a  morning job-to go with my evening job-  and I got a little delayed. I called in and let someone know and said I'd be in soon. However, he called back and said it was too late-even though I was pretty close as it turns out-I didn't realize it at the time. 

     I explained that it was my first time out and I got a bit lost. As it turns out I shouldn't have mentioned this but I did tell him I was on the bus. Right away he seized on this as why I may not be right for the job, he seemed to feel that I couldn't therefore be counted on to get to work on time every morning with no car. Finally he said I should call him back when I get my car going He said 'call me next week.' I called him this week and said I had my car going-of course I have no car-but in principle employers shouldn't be able to discriminate against not having a car anyway. Many of us don't these days and if you're able to get there on time why should an employer just decide he doesn't trust people without cars?

   Anyways, I start this coming Monday so I may soon have two part time jobs which amounts to one full time. So I may have to for the time being bulk up more on posting on weekends and maybe won't have time for as many posts during the week as I like to. 

   My goal will be for 3 posts during the week and more on Saturday and Sunday. No doubt, that's an ambitious goal but that's the goal. Then a lot more on weekends. We'll see. One way or the other you can count on Diary of a Republican Hater being a voice out there you can rely on. 

    Congratulations to Connecticut. It's amazing how deep the blue-red state divide is these days. In red states they are forcing women to have ultrasounds against their will and some like Ohio plan to make them pay for them an unnecessary medical procedures. In Connecticut, the civil rights of the homeless are being recognized. 

No comments:

Post a Comment