Pages

Monday, September 16, 2013

Sumner Answers Me on MOA: Not By Name of Course

    That's ok. Clearly he had me in mind here:

     "I can see from comments that people are very confused about the role of the medium of account.  I am going to address two misconception in the post.  First I will explain exactly the sense in which the MOA is more central to monetary economics than the medium of exchange, and which sense it is not.  Then I will explain why nominal price levels differ between countries."

     http://www.themoneyillusion.com/?p=23629&cpage=1#comment-276161

     He then goes on to look at a hypothetical case. What's necessary is that this hypothetical economy of his necessarily had a different MOA and MOE. I think one point of confusion is that most people aren't familiar with an economy that has a MOA and MOE that are different.

     Obviously it’s going to be impossible to explain the difference between a MOA and a MOE if the same asset serves both purposes.  We’d end up with an “angels on the head of a pin” debate.  Who could say why money is important if it serves both roles?  At a minimum we need a MOE than is not a MOA.  So let’s assume that a gram of gold is the MOA and a gram of silver is the MOE.  Prices (and wages) are denominated in terms of gold grams, but bills at the cash register are paid in silver coins. They have those modern cash registers with built in computers. The exchange rate is set each morning based on conditions in the gold and silver markets.  An easy way to envision this process is to assume some countries use gold and some use silver. Then the store just looks up the foreign exchange rate each morning and programs the cash register.
Now for my claim that the MOA is more “fundamental” than the MOE.  What do I mean by this?  I mean one thing and one thing only.  Here goes:
A discovery of a new process for easily turning lead into gold would have massive inflationary implications for the economy.  NGDP would soars and debtors would gain while creditors lost.
A discovery of a new process for easily turning lead into silver would reduce the nominal price of silver, but otherwise have no important implications for the economy.
That’s the sense (and the only sense) in which I think the market for the MOA is “interesting” and the market for the MOE is “uninteresting.”  Now I am quite aware of that fact that in the gold alchemy case, the value of the existing stock of (silver) MOE measured in terms of the MOA does soar, so one can also argue that the MOE is important for that reason.  I understand that argument, but simply don’t find it persuasive.  It still seems to me that gold is the dog and silver is the tail.
Now on to international price level differences.  Imagine that Austria uses grams of gold as their MOA, and Argentina uses grams of silver as their MOA.  A visitor from Austria notices that prices in Buenos Aires seem 40 times higher than in Vienna, or at least the price tags on goods in stores that would say “2 grams” in Vienna say “80 grams” in Buenos Aires.  So the “nominal price” (nominal means number) is 40 times higher in Argentina.  Real prices are fairly similar, perhaps slightly lower in Argentina.  The real ratio of price levels is also called the “real exchange rate.”
The Austrian visitor wants to know why nominal prices are 40 times higher in Buenos Aires.  Do you explain the difference with reference to:
1.  The path of nominal interest rates in each country over time.
2.  The path of real interest rates over time.
3.  The path of market interest rates minus the Wicksellian interest rate over time.
4.  Fiscal policy in each country.
5.  Minimum wage laws.
6.  The difference in MOA.
I say answer 6 is not just the right answer, it’s the only non-insane answer.  The market for the MOA determines each price level.  Period, end of story.

       [END  OF SUMNER'S QUOTE]
       
       So that's what he means. Who's buying? For my part I'm still trying to digest it. Again, I think it's hard to see because normally we see the MOA and MOE as the same thing. I guess some of those South American countries that peg their currencies to the dollar are examples of were MOA and MOE are different?

      Now so as not to give Sumner the final word-after all he couldn't even admit that I inspired that post-here is Greg:

      "I must admit to thinking that much of what Tom says seems to support Sumner contrary to what I thought yesterday when he first pointed it out, however (you knew there had to be a however!) I dont think that any of these examples begin to reflect the real world. Part of this is reducing an economy to one or two goods and thinking that exchange rates follow as simple of principles as used in the examples. Pricing really isnt as simple as it seems to be in the monetarist mind. You cant just take the amount of currency in an economy (or reserves) divide them by the number of goods and come up with average price that way. Thats such a third grade view of pricing it seems to me. It assumes that every unit of currency affects prices equally, that every unit of currency is average so to speak. Which I dont think is even remotely true. "

       "I dont as much think that the monetarist claim that inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomena is wrong as much as its uninteresting. Sure, introducing a currency and prices in that currency gives one a way to measure inflation that wasnt



    No doubt, most of what Tom has said here does seem to support the Monetarist position. The trouble with the idea that the money supply controls inflation is that it ignores the demand side of the money market.  With velocity not stable and with Y-from the equation MV=PY-subject to changes it's not nearly so simple for it to control inflation. In this recession it clearly hasn't. 





18 comments:

  1. (Pssst. Mike... is "MMdoubter" really Greg?) :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had to guess who that MMdoubter might be, I would say Michael Sankowski, although I doubt Michael hides his identity and lurks on Monetarist sites. I say that only because in one of his comments MMdoubter talked about taking money off Sumner by taking the other side of his trades. He did a series of posts a while back showing why NGDP futures was a pretty useless contract that would never succeed at what Scott thinks it would. MMdoubter seemed to be knowledgeable about trading, which I know Michael is. Pretty thin connection I know but it did occur to me. Plus Michael has been strangely silent at MR for a while and I know he thinks monetarism is a sham.

      Delete
  2. LOL!!

    No, I wish I could say it was cuz I like the way that guy approaches things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike/Greg,

    Mark A. Sadowski unmasked another Sumner commentator for me today!... Mike I think you've mentioned this person and were perplexed where they disappeared to (a while ago!). So perhaps this isn't news to either of you now but "Geoff" (whom Sumner recently called out in the body of his post by labeling him a "hard money nut") is really [drum roll please.......... ] Major_Freedom!

    So what? You thought everybody already knew?... well that was news to me! I should have guessed from the shear length of his posts (not that I ever bothered to read one). And his persistence. And the way Sumner ignores them. BTW, there's also a "Geoff" at pragcap: definitely not the same guy. He says we can call him "soft money Geoff"... to which I responded "How about 'Soft money nut Geoff'?"... no reply on that suggestion. Here's my thread w/ Sadowski:

    http://worthwhile.typepad.com/worthwhile_canadian_initi/2013/08/how-can-you-get-an-economy-into-a-liquidity-trap.html?cid=6a00d83451688169e2019aff741088970c#comment-6a00d83451688169e2019aff741088970c

    Funny statement about M.W. too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... as you an see I offer some theories about various "crackpots" I've encountered (not by name of course... Come on! Give me some credit!!... I wouldn't do that to you guys!! :D Lol!)

      Really I've seen some good ones! Bath-salts is my theory in more than one case. In M.W.'s case though, I don't think so... there I'm gonna go with roids? What do you think? :D

      M.W. if you're reading this... it's a joke! lighten up!

      Delete
    2. I even publicly agreed w/ M.W. on a point today. (I'm hoping that'll help mitigate the roid rage!) :D

      Delete
    3. Honestly it had crossed mind that MF=Geoff but I was never entirely sure. MF did a good job of giving Geoff a different style-considerably less earth shaterringly rude and pompous-not saying much but he did tone it down.

      So I was never entirely sure but I did wonder. Score another one for Sadowski!

      Delete
    4. Well maybe Sadowski doesn't know for sure... maybe that's just a guess on his part.

      There's a few others floating around like that: phil = Philippe (that one I know for certain)... but I wonder if he's also Felipe?

      And Fed Up = Too Much Fed = (variations on this)... this one I'm not 100% on... merely 99.99% (he likes to explore his own method of accounting which is non-standard... & he calls demand deposits DD's).

      There's a few others I've suspected... well including Greg here!... once correctly ("gasman") and once not.

      Delete
  4. Oh it looks like you outed MF. Good job Tom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few don't change their handles... but I could identify them with my glasses off. M.W. falls in that category, but so does flow5 (everywhere) and Iluvatar (on pragcap).

      Delete
    2. e.g.

      http://pragcap.com/the-rules-of-the-game-matter-a-lot/comment-page-1#comment-154679

      :D

      Delete
    3. MF has been over at Nick Rowe's site recently. This was Rowe's conclusion:

      "I confess I find it hard to follow MF's argument at times, and have given up."

      I also noticed that Rowe seems to erase comments from another "low quality" commenter (which is frightening, since I'm pretty sure most of my comments fall in that category!) by the name of Frank Restly. Reading just a couple of Frank's comments before they were erased, I'm not entirely sure why, but there must be some history behind it. I copied and pasted one of Frank's comments over in DOB's blog (like storing my trash in my neighbor's garage I guess!... cause I might "need" it someday! Ha!).

      Delete
  5. Mike, I don't know where else to put this, but I thought it was funny... it has to do w/ one of Sumner's commentators "dtoh." I like dtoh because he took the time to explain MM to me in his own way long ago. Trouble is, his is not the orthodox explanation. So he's always chastising Scott for not getting it right and making it too complicated. I was a little shocked at some of his comments actually (talking to Scott like this: "Very Good. Here's a cookie. Now can you do the next step if we take it slow?" (that's me paraphrasing), ... or more likely "No No No No! How many times have I told you! THAT'S NOT CORRECT")

    But check out the last line of this one today:

    http://www.themoneyillusion.com/?p=23687#comment-276733

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure you guys have seen this... I think I've heard of it, but never read it before (Sadowski pointed this out today):

    http://noahpinionblog.blogspot.com/2012/09/econotrolls-illustrated-bestiary.html

    I'm wondering what the original picture was for the way the world sees the Marxists... I assume that link went bad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mike!... conditions at pragcap have reached full Sadowski!

    http://pragcap.com/the-monetary-realism-matrix/comment-page-1#comment-154876

    haha! :D

    ReplyDelete