Pages

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

The Floyd Mayweather Jr-Manny Pacquiao Fight as OJ Simpson Redux

      Sorry, but I can't help but notice the similarities. Say this for Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith: they've done a brilliant job of promoting interest in this fight.

      The whole format of First Take is brilliantly conceived-the brilliant sportswriter Bayless had decided he needed to be paired with an African-American host. The idea is that in most of the great sports debates there is usually also a racial dimension.

     Going into this weekends fight though I can't help but notice that it has shown a racial dimension. Black folks seem to support Mayweather and see it as a betrayal not to do so, whereas, those who aren't black seem to go for Manny.

     So does racial determinism totally decide who you want in the fight? It recalls the OJ Simpson verdict where white folks were hanging their heads and black folks were dancing in their beauty parlors.

     I come into this fight with no strong horse I'm backing. I'm not sure who I think I will win. I will say this-if you simply push the racial question off to the side; of course in reality this isn't possible-I can't say I find Mayweather very likable. Of course, nothing says that the most likable boxer will win.

     Mayweather just doesn't strike me as terribly likable. Now does that matter? Well I don't agree with those who say that he shouldn't be allowed to fight at all or that anyone who is opposed to domestic violence-which Mayweather has been charged with multiple times-is a hypocrite if they watch the fight-I certainly will be watching the fight and am totally opposed to domestic violence.

    However, in deciding as I am who to root for I see little that I like or admire about Mayweather-outside of the ring that is; his in the ring record speaks for itself-and this effects my choice.

    I kind of feel as if the only reason to root for him-why the African American community is largely behind him-is they feel to not do so is a kind of betrayal of racial solidarity.

    For what it's worth, my own ethnicity is mixed-I'm a Mulatto; both black and white.

    Again, outside of the racial question-as Stephen A explains it, a lot of black folks feel like the larger non-black society is uniformly against Mayweather which explains a large part of why the black community is so strongly for him-I find Manny much more likable.

    He also seems to really want this fight. I like the way he talks about it in almost metaphysical terms. Listening to him you feel like there is more at stake than simply a boxing match-he sounds like this is a battle between Good and Evil; he's talked about winning this fight in a beautiful way; I mean some will see this as overdone but I think it infuses the match with larger purpose.

   It's as if there is cosmic difference in who wins.

    Mayweather for his part has nothing so compelling to say. Stephen A says that all Manny's razzing of the undefeated champ is rousing a slumbering giant. I think it's notable that he admits that it takes being razzed to get him up for the fight.

    All he can really say is that he is 47-0 and Manny is no different.

     This is not really at this point a prediction. After all, just because I like Manny more personally, and find his overall narrative more compelling doesn't mean that he is the better fighter. That remains to be seen. However, the more I listen to him, the more I want him to win. 

    One guy who is not just likable but just incredibly motivational is Ray Rice. Listening to him here urge the local community against rioting, I feel like putting on a uniform or something.
   
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HNCjMnHtj0

    P.S. As far as the Baltimore riots are concerned, we're again seeing the OJ effect of course. It seems to me that there are too extreme positions that have to be avoided. Either blanket criticism of the protesters for the very unfortunate looting and vandalism-culminating with the burning down of the CVS-but also the blanket dismissal of criticism of the protesters who do go down the violent or illegal road.

    Being angry about police misdeeds-no matter how legitimate-don't give anyone license to loot, steal, or destroy property-especially in one's own community, which is just absurd.

    It makes no sense to be angry and want to be heard ans so you: burn down your own house. 

No comments:

Post a Comment