Pages

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

On the Miami Heat, the San Antonio Spurs and Carmelo Anthony: NBA Gods Taketh and Giveth Away

     With the 2013-2014 season over, I think you have to say that 'the NBA Gods Giveth, and the NBA Gods Taketh Away!' I'm speaking as a New York Knicks fan, of course, but I guess this is true of any team. In a way it just means you never get everything you want. I mean if this article is believed, even the Spurs have to worry-and they just won the Championship.

     https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/the-san-antonio-spurs--gone-till-november--sadly-214813579.html

     The subtitle says that the chances of the whole team playing together for another year is small but 'all might not be lost.' You think? It also points out that last year the Oklahoma Thunder looked unbeatable. This is the reality of sports. I mean in football, the 1985 Chicago Bears looked unbeatable after 1985 and never won a Super Bowl again. My Giants looked unbeatable the next year but then badly slipped the next few years. Dynasties don't happen so often. Though they happen more in the NBA than say the NFL.

    The Spurs over the longer term have had something of a dynasty, Indeed their vanquished opponent, the Miami Heat has been something close to a dynasty coming into the finals having already won two. As a Knicks fan the fact  that they didn't win is what the NBA Gods gave me. Of course, what 'was taken away' is that the Knicks failed again. As for Melo leaving the Knicks for the Heat, all I can say is 'Say it aint so!' If anything, what this finals showed is that it's a team game not one for individuals. This is why the Spurs won. As great as Lebron is he couldn't do it on his own. So I don't know that Melo in Miami is a great fit as these two guys are too similar-they both are team high scorer types. As for the Knicks they are optimistic that they can sign Melo. Let's hope the Gods smile on us Knicks fans this time. You certainly can't say it's not our turn yet.

     UPDATE: For my regular readers, this is a pretty short post for me. Reason for this is that I wrote it as a sample for a job ad I saw at Craig's List where they want a blog sports writer but just wanted a 2 to 3 paragraph sample. I'll believe they're going to pay someone meaningful money for blogging about sports but figured it was worth a shot. Wish me luck! 

No comments:

Post a Comment