Pages

Saturday, June 7, 2014

I Drop in to the Hamptons During Kardashian Season

     I'm a big Kardashian fan and in no way apologetic about it either. It seems to be one of those guilty pleasures that no one ever quite admits to doing-yet clearly many people do. How else to you explain the Kardashian ratings? Obviously someone watches them.

     As in any number of things, I must confess to being the exception to the rule. I like watching the Kardashians a lot and have absolutely no problem admitting it. I love reality tv in general-you name it: Survivor, Amazing Race. Big Brother, The Real World, Hell's Kitchen, South Beach Tow, American Idol, The Bachelorette, the list goes on and on. I'm a huge fan of the Kardashians. Yes I like Kim. I like her better than Khloe, better than anyone on the show with one exception: Kourtney. There's something about that little tiny OCD chick that drives me nuts. I know what it is: she's just such a bitch. The masochist in me imagines I could even deal with her on a dialy baisis-very doubtful.

    So when I heard about them moving into their Summer rental in SouthHampton for the Kourtney and Khloe I just had to go out and see if I could somehow bump into them somewhere. So of me and my coworker and friend, Kevin went today as we struck out to the Hamptons nice and early in our Quizotic dream to meet the Kardashians. Kev's a Khloe fan and I'm a Kourtney fan.

   His theory is that he can connect with her because he can spin a basketball around on his finger for hours at a time.. After all she liked Lamar and he was a basketball. One of the things I've learnt about Kev is while this theory might sound a bit facile often his theories to bear up. No question she's probably on the rebound after Lamar. Another connection he points to is that he tried out for the X Factor-the last season before it went debunk and she wasconnected with that show.

    My case for Kourtney is tougher. I know it's a long shot-as devoted a Mother as she is to her kids and family it would be hard for any guy to get through to her. She of course has a husband-not legally even now but in every other sense.

   Yet, my theory is that he may be cheating on her and definitely is not the model husband and maybe I could win her over with my shear enthusiasm and dorkishness. What Kev and I have is we're starstruck fans. That could even be a welcome change for them in a world where most of those they run with think their celebrity is no big deal-'been there done that.'

   Arriving there this morning it was amazing. The Hamptons hardly seem like part of Long Island. As a Nassau boy it's hard to believe this is the same country let alone the same island. It has an old money, rural feel to it. This is the kind of place where McDonald's has a hard time passing the test on city ordinances and getting permission to set up shop. Walking out on Main Street in the SouthHamptons reminds you vaguely of another time and place.

   Old Money hates the idea of plutocracy. The definitely consider themselves upper crust but they resent the idea that anyone who comes into a little money can join their society and live among them. This attitude may well have good and bad things to say for itself. Overall, don't get me wrong, money is a great equalizer and that's why I'm not opposed to making lots of money-quite the opposite.

   We stopped by a 7 Eleven on what is basically Sunrise Highway still-we road it all the way up from Baldwin here in Nassau to out East here in the Hamptons. Outside there was some wild, ranting guy with a sign demanding that 'illegal immigrants go home!'

   This was outside the store where you saw nothing but Hispanic faces. We went across the street to McDonalds. A couple of things stood out. First there were no males at the registers or in the kitchen. So an all female staff. Second, there was nary a white face. I think I saw one white woman and she looked like she was a manager.  There were some Black women but mostly the staff was Hispanic.

    The Kardashians are supposed to be staying at Noyac Rd but of course they didn't allow the address to get out and it didn't take long to see that there was no way to figure out which one was theirs. For one thing most of the houses are high on a hill. This is the kind of neighborhood you just never see here in Nassau-houses with lots of space between them.

     We did come by a general store with a written message that 'Kourtney and Khloe welcome everyone to the North Sea Harbor.' So Kev and I went inside, talked to the owner, and bought a few items. As a telemarketer I can't hold his manipulation against him. He too was Hispanic, serving to increase my suspicions that in the Hamptons, only Hispanic people actually work.

     Then we went out to Main St by the restaurant-75 Main-that the sisters are known to frequent. Kevin and I-along with his friend Pauly, who's a real live wrestler-he like many of his co-workers here in Victory Pro Wrestling hopes to one day be a pro wrestler in the WWE-as I've discussed in previous posts I may buy this league though Morgan Warstler urges me not to.

     http://diaryofarepublicanhater.blogspot.com/2014/05/say-what-you-will-about-morgan-warstler.html

     Kev likes to do this bit where he punches Pauly as hard as he can right in the stomach to get the reaction of people. Often they get quite a kick out of it. We're trying to stoke things. We came ready to wow a crow we thought might be here just to see the Kardashians.  about crowds is probably behind the police out directing traffic.

    We finally get to Job street which crosses Main where the sisters have opened another Dash. We go inside. The black security guard tells us that the Kardashians do drop by now and again. I had been ready to tell Kourtney that Scott's a nice guy but 'we both know he's not worthy of you, that he doesn't treat you like you deserve to be treated' which we would follow by a song-the Car's 'You Might Think'-and old 80s hit. Of course, we didn't see them. Our last ditch effort was to go to 75 Main St. for dinner but, of course, we had neglected to sign up for a reservation.

   I call at 5 p.m. and the young woman on the other end politely explains to me that the next booking is for 9 p.m. Guess we'll have to wait for the next time to serenade Kourtney and Khloe. Nevertheless, there was enough in our Quixotic little journey to whet our appetite for another one our there in a few weeks.

  P.S. Apparently many of the Hampton residents are not as euphoric as I am about the sisters moving in to say the least.

    http://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/filming-for-kourtney-khloe-take-the-hamptons-are-ticking-people-off-and-it-s-just-begun-39112

    Everyone we spoke to today seemed to have no problem though, and that General Store opener obviously thinks it benefits his business as do many business owners in the area-they quite logically think this will be great for business.I have to say that I think Kardashian bahsing is about 99.99999 percent envy as is most bashing of celebrities, music stars, athletes, etc. Don't be so transparent folks.

    P.S.S The complaint seems to be that you don't want more business as that will mean more people coming into the area and messing things up. Only a rich person that doesn't worry about a business succeeding or failing can have such priorities.
 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment