Pages

Friday, November 18, 2011

We Are Living in a Cultural Golden Age

     I mean that, not being ironic. Because of technology, computers, the Internet, social media, cell phones, etc. every day I marvel at how much intellectual resources are at my finger tips. When I think about what I want to write about on Diary of a Republican Hater it's troublesome because there are so many good stories.

    So many things of interest. What I find is that the limits of time and my own body frustrate me sometimes. Between all the great sources and stories where do I start? It's like the economic concept of opportunity cost. If I read about the Euro zone problems I can't read about American politics or Occupy Wall Street. Can only read one story at a time.

    Then again I'm currently reading a book about Keynes vs. Hayek. Then again there's sports. It seems to me that today intellectual resources are at our finger tips the like that previous years even the intellectual elites at top universities lacked. The Internet is exponentially better than an old fashioned library catalogue. It's a great thing but the opportunity cost in everything gets to me. I feel like there are not enough hours in the day to learn all there is to learn.

    Right about now I think of Nietzsche when he talked about how back then they lacked the technology yet that could keep up with our thoughts better than our own pen on the page. We have made progress on that.Surfing the Net is often still frustrating as it doesn't always go as fast as we want. But we're getting closer.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment