Pages

Friday, March 22, 2013

On the Recovery I'll Join Tim Duy on His Limb

     It's a pretty comfortable one, I think. I should say I'll have what Duy is having-or maybe he's had what I'm having, I don't know. However, his view on the economic recovery is very similar to how I've basically felt for a while.

      A lot of ink has been spilled over the past three years fretting about the fragility of the economy.  But the reality is largely the opposite.  The economy has proved to be very resilient.  We have weathered external demand shocks, external financial crises, and even fiscal contraction, and all the while economic activity continued to grind higher.  Looking back, it seems that the biggest risk the economy faced was the Fed's start/stop approach to quantitative easing.  That problem appears solved with open-ended QE linked to economic guideposts.
    At the risk of sounding overly optimistic, I am going to go out on a limb:  The recovery is here to stay.  Not "stay" as in "permanent."  I am not predicting the end of the business cycle.  But "stay" until some point after the Federal Reserve begins to raise interest rates, which I don't expect until 2015. This doesn't mean you need to be happy about the pace of growth.  But it does mean that a US recession in the next three years should be pretty far down on your list of concerns.  
     http://economistsview.typepad.com/timduy/2013/03/the-recovery-is-real.html
     He's right as well that there's a lot of bearishness out there. Indeed, most people I know are pretty bearish-including friends of mine like Nanute and Woj-I know your not Sumner Nanute. LOL! However, I don't think I'm wrong that your more bearish than me-not that this is hard! I don't know that you're super bearish but you aren't as sold on recovery as I am. I don't know that I would call Nanute real bearish, not super bearish anyway, just more bearish than me, but most people are. I'd say the median person today is bearish, certainly on the econ blogs. 
    I've discussed Woj's bearishness with him in the past too. He did emphasize though that he's not saying we're going to retest the lows now-though he thinks that we will at some point. Yet he sees this as coming in 2017 or so. Interestingly also sees the next recession as coming in around 2017:
     "The US economy is less fragile than commonly believed; it has endured a series of shocks over the last three years without major incident.   I am claiming neither that equity prices won't stumble, nor that we should be happy with the pace of activity.  But I do think that a recession is unlikely before the Federal Reserve begins raising interest rates - something not likely to happen for two years.  While long-run predictions are dangerous, for the sake of argument add up to another two years for tighter policy to reverberate through the economy and you are looking at sometime around 2016/2017 when the next recession hits.  That's the time frame I am currently thinking about."
      While they have the same timeline, Duy certainly doesn't see us as retesting the 2009 lows. I certainly don't either. Yet Duy's take is particularly optimistic. He seems to be saying that the next recession will be an old fashioned postwar one where the Fed deliberately causes it by raising interest rates. So this next recession will be in no sense a "double dip."
       While I'm pretty much on the opposite side of Woj in the bull-bear spectrum I wonder how Duy sees the economy performing the next 3-4 years. Are we going to get back to what we've come to expect as normal U.S growth? That is to say we're we grow about 3% per year with unemployment below 6%? Judging by the fact that he anticipates the Fed raising rates in 2015, maybe so as the Fed has pledged pretty much no tightening until 6.5% unemployment. On the one hand we've gone a long time with no recession-which is sobering as we are still so far from optimum. On the other hand we had so much ground to make up like in the 30s. I don't see us retracing the lows. To me the most likely worst case scenario is probably a 1937-38 style relapse. 
        I could see Duy being broadly right about the timetable. What worries me is if we get back to previous trends in output and employment or if we're at a newer "normal" with lower growth and higher unemployment, a la Tyler Cowen. \
       What's also interesting is this. Are we going to have a optimal recovery with traditional growth and employment levels while the EU remains so weak? If so we really are entering an age of bifurcation. Yet for now that seems very likely. There are very few "green shoots" in the EU. True, Draghii's strong words last Summer stemmed the tide of panic. However, the latest Cyprus debacle may be the thing that will spook the EU. 

       P.S. Let me just make the point that regarding Woj, he's a very smart guy and he knows a lot more about many things in Macro than I do, and you should read his blog. 

       http://bubblesandbusts.blogspot.com/

      Regarding the issue of predictions, reasonable people can disagree. Whether he's right or not an this he gives some very good economic analysis and I've certainly learnt a lot from reading him. 

       Of course, the guy I've learned the most from is: Nanute. And I'm not just saying this because he's taking me out to Popeye's this week. 

16 comments:

  1. I'd say I'm guardedly optimistic. If there is any way for the current crop of Austerians amongst the Republican Party in Washington to screw things up, they'll find a way. Plus there are outside the US factors that could have a spill over effect into our economy. Watching the situation in Cyprus pretty closely, which could be the beginning of bad things for the rest of the Eurozone, and perhaps us too. And stop with the brown nosing, or you'll never see the inside of Popeye's again. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Nanute I mentioned Europe. It will be interesting if the U.S. could go all the way while the EU is such a basket case. This would be the famous "bifurcatino" we here so much about.

      I agree if something could bring the U.S. down, it would be the mess that is the EU. They have stablizied at least in terms of yields since Draghhi's version of Chuck NOrris-'we'll do what ever is necessary-but no doubt Cyprus might spook people with the worry that depositors aren't safe.

      Delete
  2. And tell me, is this something you're doing, or is it someone else? When I first log on, this pops up. When I try to close it, it goes to the site anyway. http://www.appround.biz/bestcodecspack/v9/codec_v9.php?cid=3921&clickid=0021258572663587066&orig_client=BIDVERPOP-1299024

    ReplyDelete
    Replies


    1. Yeah Nanute I did put it up as an adsense replacement. I've not been sure about it-it seems like all they have is that video ad and even I kept knocking against it on my site. I was wondering if it was this bad for other people. Your comments make it clear that it's a mess. I guess I'll have to take it down.

      It's ok as I have that INternet cuonsutlting group that will be working for me.

      Delete
  3. My .02$ worth.

    I think Cullen Roche has had some good pieces which suggest that our private sector has delevered enough to maybe start to increase credit use again in the near future. The question seems to be WILL they. Having your debt to income ratio at a certain level doesnt mean you are ready to increase it again. Speaking on my own behalf, I have worked to decrease my debt levels not so I can borrow more but to free me from debt. If I have to, i can take on more debt, but I am not looking to. I suspect that many people feel the same way.

    Without an increase in our credit use, the only source of GDP growth comes from maintaining a deficit. Considering the deficit phobia gripping our lawmakers I remain skeptical of more growth. Will we avoid going backwards? At the federal level probably but I think most austerity is at state levels and that isnt changing as far as I can tell. Most states have balanced budget amendments and they are bound to them. They are like the Euro zone and seem to be poised to cut themselves right into recessions.

    Until states see the feds as a source of financial stability and not as "in their way" I cant be entirely optimistic.

    I dont expect the stock market to hold up much longer. Will the first major sell off (decline of 100+ points say) cause a vicious downward slide? My major concern is that we have a huge percentage of people who think like Greenspan, that only the stock market matters to our economy, and will only leave stocks to chase something else when it looks like the run up is done. We are gripped by people with short term horizons on their investment decisions and economists who claim that we cant accomplish much stimulus now because "in the long run" it wont be effective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greg, And a very good 2 cents worth, I might add. I especially enjoyed De Long's link to Michael Mussa today. "There are three types of financial crises: Crises of Liquidity, Crises of Solvency, and Crises of Stupidity." ICYMI: http://www.bruegel.org/nc/blog/detail/article/1048-europes-cyprus-blunder-and-its-consequences/#.UU22wb9DFTQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That article was good and it really points out how much a failure the Euro project is as it is currently being implemented.

      Not that our leaders/ivory tower economists will ever acknowledge it, but it is such a clear example of trying to run a "currency area" on monetary policy alone with no fiscal coordination.

      Delete
    2. A big part of the problem with the EU project however is that countries give up their own printing press yet the lack the level of political and fiscal union that would have to go with it to work.

      Much of the "European Project" has been a success politically-going back to the end of WWII, Europe has finally learned to live in peace.

      The monetary union is a mess however, and arguably it's a bad, unworkable idea.

      I think this is exhibit A of the problem with a bloc of nations on a fixed exchange system.

      Delete
    3. Hey Nanute! Thanks again for Popeye's. When I eats my chicken I fight to the finish...

      I was just looking at LGM. They have a link they say to use to email them for "inquiries" but the link doesn't work. I can't find their email anywhere else.

      I do see a link you can simply buy advertising from them with. You pay them $100 and they list your site for a certain strech of time.

      I also don't see where they wrote about that other website or that people can make money off their site. How do you make the money-by advertising on their site?

      If you could link me where you were reading it would help. I been looking at page after page and see neither this conversation about making money or that other post about female writers who left.

      Delete
    4. Ok I just saw that they also help publishers. I just applied for their ads. Let's see if they will use me.

      Delete
  5. Thanks Nanute

    Im going to check out DeLongs post. I have a day off today.

    Would love some Popeyes myself. Their red beans and rice are to die for. Know where Im going to lunch!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah too bad you don't live here in NY Greg! Then I could tell people I'm eating lunch with two of my readers rather than one! LOL.

      Incidentally, where do you live?

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  6. Georgia...................... for now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You want to move? The one surprising thing about Georgia is they offer an extension of UI benefits for the first you work. I think it's Georgia they say do this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ive been wanting to move for some time, but my wife is a Ga girl and our son was in school here. Now he's in Ohio, has a child, Ive had the same job for 29 years.......

    I cant just up and go yet though, my son is still in grad school and I'm committed to keeping him from racking up a mortgage payment when he graduates. So he works a little, borrows a little and I give him a little. All those littles add up to enough right now.

    I would be surprised if Ga does anything that is generous to low wage workers or unemployed folks but you may be right.

    ReplyDelete