Pages

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Living the Telemarketer's Code: Whether on the Phone or Anywhere Else, Always Be Closing

     A little while back, Mark Sadowski took some shots at my 'career'-telemarketing.

     http://diaryofarepublicanhater.blogspot.com/2014/03/mark-sadowksi-and-latest-adventures-of.html

     I pointed out that if this were a better economy, I wouldn't be a TMer at all-I'd be an accountant. Still, I can admit that I rather enjoy my work. Particularly the job I have now. What I find fascinating is that we just stick to a script-call our prospects-not at home in this case but at work-and then read it word to word to them-every time.

      This seems to me to fly in the face of what they think works in many sales offices. Look, say what you want to about telemarketing but it's a growing not a dying field-many big, reputable companies are picking it up now too and I've talked to people who work at banks who aren't happy that now they sometimes have to call people at home to convince them to open up a new bank account.

      However, I doubt many sales offices would agree with our strategy. Many of the offices that I've been at seem to think that what you need to close the sale is to 'sound spontaneous', you need to 'have a conversation' the kiss of death is to let them think you're reading from a script-I worked for a home improvement company where he seemed to think the key was to say something different every time you pitch. Yet we get a lot of sales and I think that doing it this way might well work in many other pitches though I don't know that it would work in everything.  It seems that scripted conversations sound more 'spontaneous.' A big part of why I think that is comes down to you as the telemarketer: you say the same exact thing, call after call, hour after hour, day after day, and after 6 months of this it truly becomes second nature to you-where you can recite that script as naturally as you eat or have a bowl movement.

      Anyway, I see that this job is truly in my bloodstream now because this morning on the bus-on my way to Baldwin Public Library-I had a chat with a young lady. In itself this was interesting in that I was able to initiate it so easily-I think my d y job helps as you truly lose any shamefacedness after awhile.

     Actually, I had seen her at the first stop for the N35 over on Atlantic Ave. I had muscled my way in to get on the bus first-one of my things is I don't ever want any other males to muscle me getting o on the bus. However, this young woman then jumps right in front of me-of course I have to let her go as she has some sort of cane or something. Ok, one thing about me is I sometimes find women like with canes, or even in wheelchairs attractive. I mean you find me an attractive woman in a wheelchair and increases the attraction for me exponentially. I thin it's something to do with the idea that a woman with a wheelchair or with a cane or something is what they call in Zizek and Lacan a Subject Supposed to Enjoy.

     http://www.egs.edu/faculty/slavoj-zizek/articles/the-interpassive-subject/

     For an example of what I find atractive as far as a woman in a wheelchair see this episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

     http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1515099/

     For me the real attraction is that such a woman is the ultimate Subject Supposed to Enjoy-she can cut everywhere she goes, even get free stuff, she's like a foreign dignitary or something. Obviously I'm not the only one who sees it this way-why else are there all these people who pretend they're handicapped in this way?

     Anyway, after she sat down, I sat right behind her and then she smiled-yes, a total green light! I don't I have far to go on the bus so when she mentions she needs a job I tell her I might be able to get her one-I said might, which is true, I did get my friend Lee a job where we work though I doubt she would want to do what we do.

      I told her I got to get off at the library and for a minute she said she would get off there too-she said looking for a job is more important than music.

      Oh are you a musician I ask her. Yes she tells me, she's a singer or a drummer. Finally she says she'll take mu number. However, right away I feel less than wholly satisfied. Just like when you're chatting a prospect on the phone, you never want to leave the ball in their court. When they tell you they'll call you when you're pitching them it's very rare they call back, of course.

      Yes, this young gal is a little different-she probably really meant she's going to call me back at the moment she says it-still as a telemarketer I don't like to leave all the control in her hands. Maybe later she'll come up with an excuse for herself why she shouldn't call now-maybe later she'll think.

      However, she wouldn't let me have hers-I had to get of quick so I tried to get her to call me right there so I'd have her number too but: no sale. Damn, I hate that. Maybe she will call back but I have no control over it now and maybe she won't.

      Like Zizek and Hegel tell us, women spend on awful lot of time in the 'Hegelian Night of the World'

       http://zizekstudies.org/index.php/ijzs/article/viewFile/136/222

       It takes a lot for them to come out of their own passive funk and my 'prospect' here still wanted to hedge her bets.

       P.S. Wow-this was a long week. I still think the market goes up from here which I'll talk about more in future posts. I think a real opportunity might be the 'Chinese Twitter' It looks like real April fools this April are Republican scare stories about Obamacare.
   
       http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/04/17/what-eight-million-means/?_php=true&_type=blogs&module=BlogPost-Title&version=Blog%20Main&contentCollection=Opinion&action=Click&pgtype=Blogs&region=Body&_r=0

      P.S.S Remember when I used to have that radio show? Of course, with the full time gainful employment there's no time but with Spreaker I can fit it in whenever. Here is my first show in a couple of years.

      Remember I'm in the 1 percent now, so there may be prizes if you follow me! LOL

     http://www.spreaker.com/user/5399077





No comments:

Post a Comment